Started on: 08-11-2015 01:59 PM
Replies: 59 (5040 views)
Last post by: kevin on 01-07-2019 11:07 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

...there is nothing like the "DDD gold master cds" anymore.

And some people strongly believe that sucks compared to virgin vinyl.

IMO, high bitrate (320 Kbps) MP3 audio is good enough for listening to in the car, especially in a relatively noisy vehicle like most any Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-11-2015).]

IP: Logged
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J Gunsett:

Does this radio do HD stations?

Jack

Originally posted by fierosound:

It has RDS http://marantz.custhelp.com...njoyment-of-fm-radio

HD Radio and RDS have nothing to do with each other. HD Radio is a trademarked name for a company that started digital radio signals. RDS is Radio Data System which basically just adds a radio stations type of content, call sign, etc. RDS adds this info through a digital signal but that extra signal doesn't affect the quality of the broadcast like HD/digital does.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And some people strongly believe that sucks compared to virgin vinyl.

IMO, high bitrate (320 Kbps) MP3 audio is good enough for listening to in the car, especially in a relatively noisy vehicle like most any Fiero.

Hey I just got some vinyl a month ago. "Vinyl Disciple" handed to me by the very person who invented "skip proof vinyl"

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-11-2015).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is one ugly a$$ radio. I didn't think people even steal car stereos anymore. That looks like it is from the 70s. If I saw that in a car I would think "poor bastard" It is sad all people want now is features and not GOOD sound, "can it hook to my iphone" I came from the era of awesome car audio, when Richard Clark dominated all, (if you don't know who he is or ever heard heard his car you will never "get it") not "I want it to look stock." Car audio has gone so way down hill. If someone thinks MP3s sound good they are REALLY missing out, there is nothing like the "DDD gold master cds" anymore.

Fierosound I still have the mag your Fiero was in from the 90s The good ol' days

Yup - it does look kinda plain, but it was designed to look 70s-80s factory, and it does sound great powering the new speakers.
The owner is happy with everything, so I don't feel bad that I recommended it to her. She thinks it looks fine (or she wouldn't have bought it).

Thanks on the "ole days" - I was invited to IASCA Nationals two years in a row with the Fiero GT. It had the Denon deck and amplifier then.
Now I'm running with an Eclipse deck and Mcintosh amplifier - but all the same speakers. MB Quart (German), Oz Audio (USA) - changed 4"x6" Alpine to Eclipse 4"x6" plate.

All IASCA competitors knew about Richard Clark. The car only had 6 speakers.
The front stage were 2 wave guide compression drivers with 22" horn under the dash, 2-12" midbass, 2-15" subwoofers and careful tuning.

wave guide compression horn

PS -
Richard Clark - The SpeakerWorks Buick
http://www.termpro.com/showcars/index.asp?Page=20

In 1988, another superstar car was introduced to the car audio world. The 1986 Buick Grand National (Installations April '89 and August '92) built by SpeakerWorks in Orange, California (and later sold to Richard Clark), is believed to be the only vehicle ever to retire undefeated from the pro division of the national sound-off circuit.

The bad black Buick won the Alpine Car Audio Nationals II Pro Unlimited (751 watts and up) division in '88, and IASCA's Pro unlimited title in '89, '90, and '91 before being retired by Clark.

"It's the winningest car of all time in the Pro category," said Clark, who keeps the car in storage in North Carolina. "It was totally undefeated, and its design had a big impact on the way things are done today."

The system featured two 15-inch subwoofers behind the rear seat, and a 12-inch sub in each rear side panel.
According to Eric Holdaway, whose family owns SpeakerWorks and designed the original system, the speaker locations in the Buick were a pioneering concept.

"People thought we were nuts to put speakers in the kick panels," said Holdaway. "Our goal was to maximize the pathlengths for better imaging and staging. It was a groundbreaking approach that most top installers are following today."

The all-stealth Buick, equipped with only six speakers and nearly 5,000 watts of power, won four national titles and consistently hit 140+ dB. "I won $60,000 in prize money in one year with that car," said Clark.

PICTURES (also look at the tutorials on the site)
http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-11-2015).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

HD Radio and RDS have nothing to do with each other. HD Radio is a trademarked name for a company that started digital radio signals. RDS is Radio Data System which basically just adds a radio stations type of content, call sign, etc. RDS adds this info through a digital signal but that extra signal doesn't affect the quality of the broadcast like HD/digital does.

HD radio has flown under the radar for a long time, but I'm giving it a second look because the future of radio is digital. Many radio stations are selling their transmitters and moving to an HD digital side channel, the internet or a TV digital side channel. Or you will have to connect...wait for it...your iPhone to your radio and listen to them on an APP. I listened to Houston radio stations on my phone all the way from Texas to NY and back.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

HD radio has flown under the radar for a long time, but I'm giving it a second look because the future of radio is digital. Many radio stations are selling their transmitters and moving to an HD digital side channel, the internet or a TV digital side channel. Or you will have to connect...wait for it...your iPhone to your radio and listen to them on an APP. I listened to Houston radio stations on my phone all the way from Texas to NY and back.

I don't know that I've ever listened to HD radio. I assume it sounds just like an SD signal but without any hiss. There's an app for everything.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I don't know that I've ever listened to HD radio. I assume it sounds just like an SD signal but without any hiss. There's an app for everything.

I have never listened to HD radio either, but I imagine it sounds better then FM and certainly better than AM. On my cross country trip I listened to Sports Radio AM on my APP and it sounded a lot better than locally over the air. The only problem with the APP is that if I lost signal I would have to kill the APP and restart it. It would not regain the signal automatically.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On my cross country trip I listened to Sports Radio AM on my APP and it sounded a lot better than locally over the air.

I don't know if this is comparable to what you guys are talking about, but I've also noticed that AM radio stations sound a whole lot better when listened to online rather than over the air waves. Much crisper audio, probably in stereo as well.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's all good and all, but driving across Nevada, about half of the state has no cell service, I least where I go. The last of the old west. (Nothing like camping where people can't call you )

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-13-2015).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have HD Radio in my BMW X5. It is obvious when the radio switches automatically between the analog and digital signal. The digital signal has more 'high end' on FM. More like listening to a CD.
On AM, there is more fidelity, but it still doesn't sound as good as plain ole FM.

The real beauty of HD Radio, isn't really the sound quality, but now a single station can broadcast, 2, 3 or 4 different channels of content. So you have at least doubled ,maybe tripled the number of stations to choose from.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I have HD Radio in my BMW X5. It is obvious when the radio switches automatically between the analog and digital signal. The digital signal has more 'high end' on FM. More like listening to a CD.
On AM, there is more fidelity, but it still doesn't sound as good as plain ole FM.

The real beauty of HD Radio, isn't really the sound quality, but now a single station can broadcast, 2, 3 or 4 different channels of content. So you have at least doubled ,maybe tripled the number of stations to choose from.

^^^^^ That's exactly it. A few years ago, I installed a JVC head unit that had HD Radio into a friends truck and was amazed at the difference. It really is "CD Quality", noticeably better than standard FM. Both high's and lows are much better. The fact that you can now have up to 4 separate stations where before you only had one is just a bonus. It's nice to see that it's FINALLY becoming standard on most factory radios now.

Now, if you want to talk about settling for less than stellar sound, Sirrus XM takes the cake on that one. They must be using some crazy high compression. IMHO, it sounds like an old 128KBps MP3. <sigh>

-Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris_narf (edited 10-13-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

^^^^^ That's exactly it. A few years ago, I installed a JVC head unit that had HD Radio into a friends truck and was amazed at the difference. It really is "CD Quality", noticeably better than standard FM. Both high's and lows are much better. The fact that you can now have up to 4 separate stations where before you only had one is just a bonus. It's nice to see that it's FINALLY becoming standard on most factory radios now.

Now, if you want to talk about settling for less than stellar sound, Sirrus XM takes the cake on that one. They must be using some crazy high compression. IMHO, it sounds like an old 128KBps MP3. <sigh>

-Chris

Showing my age here but I lol at "old 128KBps" I remember when music was written onto wax discs and a needle scratched across the surface. Compared to that any bitrate MP3 sounds pretty good. For car audio, especially noisy Fiero car audio, I don't think it makes much difference on compression schemes, bit rates or whether it's even digital or analog.

With HD radio they have the ability to transmit up to 300Bps but not if they have HD1, HD2, and HD3 in addition to analog all going at the same time, which most do nowadays. So you rarely if ever will get CD quality from HD radio.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Showing my age here but I lol at "old 128KBps" I remember when music was written onto wax discs and a needle scratched across the surface. Compared to that any bitrate MP3 sounds pretty good.

Again I agree with monkeyman, good vinyl sounds amazing, no D/A converters involved, (A D/A converter is a digital to analog converter, ALL music is analog) So no, any bitrate does not sound better, they still make vinyl you know(records). To convert digital to analog is steppy IE not a pure wave form, speakers don't play digital, it has to be converted to analog, then amplified, then sent to the speakers. So no, mp3s sound like crap to good vinyl. A good example is to think of a roller coaster going up and down, now think of stairs going up and down. The roller coaster is analog and the stairs are digital converted to analog.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again I agree with monkeyman, good vinyl sounds amazing, no D/A converters involved, (A D/A converter is a digital to analog converter, ALL music is analog) So no, any bitrate does not sound better, they still make vinyl you know(records). To convert digital to analog is steppy IE not a pure wave form, speakers don't play digital, it has to be converted to analog, then amplified, then sent to the speakers. So no, mp3s sound like crap to good vinyl. A good example is to think of a roller coaster going up and down, now think of stairs going up and down. The roller coaster is analog and the stairs are digital converted to analog.

Sounds like a good analogy.

Though in a car, people would have a tough time with vinyl
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking there were cars in the 50s/60s that had factory record players. Did a quick search and found them! In this case it is a 56' Plymouth. So, if you are really wanting to rock out to vinyl, I'm SURE it could be adapted to the Fiero.

1956 Plymouth

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again I agree with monkeyman, good vinyl sounds amazing, no D/A converters involved, (A D/A converter is a digital to analog converter, ALL music is analog) .

I see your point, but if I want to nit pick I could argue that music is not really analog. At some microscopic level everything is quantitized. Whether it's air molecules or quarks of matter, or photons of light. There is no continuous analog spectrum of anything.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Yup - it does look kinda plain, but it was designed to look 70s-80s factory, and it does sound great powering the new speakers.
The owner is happy with everything, so I don't feel bad that I recommended it to her. She thinks it looks fine (or she wouldn't have bought it).

Thanks on the "ole days" - I was invited to IASCA Nationals two years in a row with the Fiero GT. It had the Denon deck and amplifier then.
Now I'm running with an Eclipse deck and Mcintosh amplifier - but all the same speakers. MB Quart (German), Oz Audio (USA) - changed 4"x6" Alpine to Eclipse 4"x6" plate.

All IASCA competitors knew about Richard Clark. The car only had 6 speakers.
The front stage were 2 wave guide compression drivers with 22" horn under the dash, 2-12" midbass, 2-15" subwoofers and careful tuning.

wave guide compression horn

PS -
Richard Clark - The SpeakerWorks Buick
http://www.termpro.com/showcars/index.asp?Page=20

In 1988, another superstar car was introduced to the car audio world. The 1986 Buick Grand National (Installations April '89 and August '92) built by SpeakerWorks in Orange, California (and later sold to Richard Clark), is believed to be the only vehicle ever to retire undefeated from the pro division of the national sound-off circuit.

The bad black Buick won the Alpine Car Audio Nationals II Pro Unlimited (751 watts and up) division in '88, and IASCA's Pro unlimited title in '89, '90, and '91 before being retired by Clark.

"It's the winningest car of all time in the Pro category," said Clark, who keeps the car in storage in North Carolina. "It was totally undefeated, and its design had a big impact on the way things are done today."

The system featured two 15-inch subwoofers behind the rear seat, and a 12-inch sub in each rear side panel.
According to Eric Holdaway, whose family owns SpeakerWorks and designed the original system, the speaker locations in the Buick were a pioneering concept.

"People thought we were nuts to put speakers in the kick panels," said Holdaway. "Our goal was to maximize the pathlengths for better imaging and staging. It was a groundbreaking approach that most top installers are following today."

The all-stealth Buick, equipped with only six speakers and nearly 5,000 watts of power, won four national titles and consistently hit 140+ dB. "I won $60,000 in prize money in one year with that car," said Clark.

PICTURES (also look at the tutorials on the site)
http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/

Didn't it also have servo controlled gains that increased the volume about 3 db when the windows were opened to compensate for the outside noise? It might be a different Buick I'm thinking of but if it is I'll go look for the magazine it was in and who owned that one.

Edit: Doing some looking around on that Buick, I'm thinking it was a different one but I'll try to find the magazine I'm thinking off this weekend.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-14-2015).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
Is this RetroSound radio compatible with my stock amplifier and Pontiac sub-woofer system? In other words, is it plug and play?
Cordially,
kevin
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fellas,
Is this RetroSound radio compatible with my stock amplifier and Pontiac sub-woofer system? In other words, is it plug and play?
Cordially,
kevin

Hey Kevin! This really close to plug and play, it will require some soldering to make the harness adapter. After that is done the adapter will plug right in to your car's wires and the other side into the head unit. So you won't have to do any tampering with the wires in your car. That's all you would have to do.

By the way, I'll be back home next month! Let's get together and Fiero.
-Jason
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

liv4god
10-4
kevin
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave