Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Purchased a new Fiero recently! Need advice on distributor, calipers, rust surface!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Purchased a new Fiero recently! Need advice on distributor, calipers, rust surface! by Fiero Vice
Started on: 08-08-2015 08:11 PM
Replies: 15 (524 views)
Last post by: Fiero Vice on 10-06-2015 01:35 AM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, finally purchased my first '88 Fiero GT with 53K after some 20 years! I plan to tackle few issues off the bat with new distributor, calipers and surface rust. What brand would you guys suggest to replace those parts? As for surface rust, how would you tackle it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 08-08-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea what you mean by "rust surface."

Does your car have rust in the chassis or something?
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I have no idea what you mean by "rust surface."

Does your car have rust in the chassis or something?

No rust in the chassis, but surface rust underneath here & there along with trunk from sitting in the garage for too long without protection in cold climate. I was planning on sandblasting & paint it with rustproof paint. Wanted to hear from others experiences on what brand is the best to buy & best way to tackle this problem. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 08-08-2015).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would also help to describe what's wrong with the distributor and calipers. But if you need a new distributor, try Rock Auto. They have several to chose from, some new and some rebuilt.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

It would also help to describe what's wrong with the distributor and calipers. But if you need a new distributor, try Rock Auto. They have several to chose from, some new and some rebuilt.

Well, the oil is leaking behind driver's side and was recommended to have O-ring replaced. Another person recommended having the distributor replaced as well since newer ones are better built than the older ones. That could help with leaking issue.

As for calipers, one side is leaking and plan to replace both sides to save time.

Someone mentioned that I should replace the rubber hose with stainless steel. Is it worth the trouble & cost?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. One thing that made me feel confident about buying a Fiero again is b/c of this forum with you guys helping each other. Thanks!
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Well, the oil is leaking behind driver's side and was recommended to have O-ring replaced. Another person recommended having the distributor replaced as well since newer ones are better built than the older ones. That could help with leaking issue.

I like the new distributor design but it has nothing to do with leaks (specifically, its my opinion that the pickup coil in the new ones is better protected vs. the old design where its exposed to ozone or whatever other harsh environments are found in an operating distributor).

A leaking distributor O-ring can leak an amazing amount of oil. Even if you don't buy a new distributor, get a new O-ring. Its easy to change!

I used Raybestos calipers on my '88. There are other brands available too. Many here will recommend the ones Calipers Online sells.

ninjayogi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninjayogiSend a Private Message to ninjayogiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look to see if there is oil pooling around your spark plugs. Chances are that no matter what you will need to replace the valve cover gaskets and the distributor O ring. When I did it I went ahead and bought a Cardone distributor and just swapped it with the old one. That made a huge difference. If you are going to do all of that you may want to check out your fuel injectors as well, as I have seen some pretty nasty ones. I also replaced my injectors and had bought them before I took this all apart and the ones that I had in there weren't bad. So if you or anyone else needs some I will sell my old ones cheap just PM me.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Any advice is greatly appreciated. One thing that made me feel confident about buying a Fiero again is b/c of this forum with you guys helping each other. Thanks!

First off, don't believe every thing you hear - the guy recommending a new distributor because it's better built and to stop leaks will have you spending lot of money uselessly. You wanna stop the distributor oil leak - replace the o-ring and be done with it. Had 2 cars leak and this solved the problem.

Since you now saved money because of the distributor, replace the pick-up coil, distributor module, distributor cap, and ignition coil. Upgrade your spark plug wires (taylors are highly recommended) and put in some NGK plugs. NOW you've got a good ignition system.

Next make sure your cooling system is in good shape. Check your radiator and if it has plastic side tanks, I'd replace it sooner than later. Be aware that you can buy a nice aluminum 3-core for about the same cost as a stock one.

Good luck.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2015 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check it out.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2015 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by css9450:

I like the new distributor design but it has nothing to do with leaks (specifically, its my opinion that the pickup coil in the new ones is better protected vs. the old design where its exposed to ozone or whatever other harsh environments are found in an operating distributor).

A leaking distributor O-ring can leak an amazing amount of oil. Even if you don't buy a new distributor, get a new O-ring. Its easy to change!

I used Raybestos calipers on my '88. There are other brands available too. Many here will recommend the ones Calipers Online sells.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check it out. I think it'd be better to get a new distributor to be on the safe side & hold on to the old one just in case. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2015 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by ninjayogi:

Look to see if there is oil pooling around your spark plugs. Chances are that no matter what you will need to replace the valve cover gaskets and the distributor O ring. When I did it I went ahead and bought a Cardone distributor and just swapped it with the old one. That made a huge difference. If you are going to do all of that you may want to check out your fuel injectors as well, as I have seen some pretty nasty ones. I also replaced my injectors and had bought them before I took this all apart and the ones that I had in there weren't bad. So if you or anyone else needs some I will sell my old ones cheap just PM me.

How can I tell if my fuel injector is bad?
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2015 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by tshark:

I had no idea it was still possible to buy a ”new Fiero”. Nice car.

Replacing the old rubber hoses is a great idea. All the rubber on the car is suspect--particularly since it's been sitting. Make sure you lube the calipers well. Also, your oil leak may be from other seals as well.

Check your fuel hoses, and the rest of the brake lines. Personally, I almost always start off a used car purchase by flushing all fluids, replacing all filters, and cleaning the engine. Brake fluid & coolant would be a good place to start.

Thanks, Tshark! Those little gems are still out there if you're willing to travel far & pay little more money.

Yeah, I plan to replace all rubber hoses in due course, but wanted to solve those two major problems first. Good idea to replace all fluids & filters. It's a cheaper insurance than to find out more problems down the road.

My dog of 16 years just passed away recently. So, guys, sorry for not answering my post in a while. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Much appreciated.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2015 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by PaulJK:

First off, don't believe every thing you hear - the guy recommending a new distributor because it's better built and to stop leaks will have you spending lot of money uselessly. You wanna stop the distributor oil leak - replace the o-ring and be done with it. Had 2 cars leak and this solved the problem.

Since you now saved money because of the distributor, replace the pick-up coil, distributor module, distributor cap, and ignition coil. Upgrade your spark plug wires (taylors are highly recommended) and put in some NGK plugs. NOW you've got a good ignition system.

Next make sure your cooling system is in good shape. Check your radiator and if it has plastic side tanks, I'd replace it sooner than later. Be aware that you can buy a nice aluminum 3-core for about the same cost as a stock one.

Good luck.

PaulJK, you're right that we should be careful about taking others' advice. However, this guy was former president of a Fiero Club for a large region. Since he has access to more information from other members, I thought I'd pay more attention to his advice. You don't think a new distributor is needed? How do you know when you need to replace it? NGK plugs? Is that a brand? Your suggestion of replacing other parts sounds like a good idea. I'll keep that in mind as I solve those three issues (oil leak, caliper & rust) Thanks for your suggestions.
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the caliper is leaking and you have brakes I would just drive it somewhere safe like a parking lot or a long driveway. It's likely just leaking around the seals due to rust on the piston from sitting. It will likely take care of itself. I'm not in favor of the stainless hoses because they don't necessarily fit, but getting the rubber hoses back in their stock locations may not be an option anyway. The stainless hard lines will likely be needed sooner or later, like everything brake-related, but I consider that a huge job.

One problem that people often run into that involves both brakes and rust is this: The bracket that holds the rubber line onto the strut rusts around the hose, squeezing it enough to cause problems like a new caliper not releasing.

I've never replaced a distributor. There's not much that needs replacing beyond tuneup parts. The o-ring probably is leaking, but that's a less than two dollar part. There are countless threads that begin, "New cap, rotor, wires, etc. - now it won't..." If it's running well leave well enough alone.

Rust can be serious. Try taking the trunk carpet out. There might not be much back there besides carpet. Even if it looks good you might want to jack it up and take the wheel well liners off. Many people have started swaps and had to take a major detour into frame and cradle rust repairs. If you can weld, no worries.

As to painting, powder coating or POR 15 have been mentioned. I've used Rustoleum rusty metal primer, regular primer, and leak sealer. Leak sealer is like spray tar. I've had mixed results with this treatment. They say you can apply the next coat within an hour or after 48. It's worked much better with 48 hours or more between coats. A battery tray I did this way has held up great for three years, mostly outside, but not running or driving. On the car I drove in salt without washing all winter there are spots that need attention again.

Looks like you got a good one! Welcome to the forum!
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2015 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

If the caliper is leaking and you have brakes I would just drive it somewhere safe like a parking lot or a long driveway. It's likely just leaking around the seals due to rust on the piston from sitting. It will likely take care of itself. I'm not in favor of the stainless hoses because they don't necessarily fit, but getting the rubber hoses back in their stock locations may not be an option anyway. The stainless hard lines will likely be needed sooner or later, like everything brake-related, but I consider that a huge job.

One problem that people often run into that involves both brakes and rust is this: The bracket that holds the rubber line onto the strut rusts around the hose, squeezing it enough to cause problems like a new caliper not releasing.

I've never replaced a distributor. There's not much that needs replacing beyond tuneup parts. The o-ring probably is leaking, but that's a less than two dollar part. There are countless threads that begin, "New cap, rotor, wires, etc. - now it won't..." If it's running well leave well enough alone.

Rust can be serious. Try taking the trunk carpet out. There might not be much back there besides carpet. Even if it looks good you might want to jack it up and take the wheel well liners off. Many people have started swaps and had to take a major detour into frame and cradle rust repairs. If you can weld, no worries.

As to painting, powder coating or POR 15 have been mentioned. I've used Rustoleum rusty metal primer, regular primer, and leak sealer. Leak sealer is like spray tar. I've had mixed results with this treatment. They say you can apply the next coat within an hour or after 48. It's worked much better with 48 hours or more between coats. A battery tray I did this way has held up great for three years, mostly outside, but not running or driving. On the car I drove in salt without washing all winter there are spots that need attention again.

Looks like you got a good one! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, 85 SE VIN 9, for your advice. Much appreciated. I'll look into it when I get a chance over the winter time. Thanks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock