3800 NA with Turbo by RotrexFiero
Started on: 08-07-2015 09:13 PM
Replies: 9 (259 views)
Last post by: dobey on 08-09-2015 04:21 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a chance at an inexpensive 3800 NA Series II (80k). I already have a 3800 SC in my Fiero and I was thinking of building it in my spare time. Maybe use it as a spare and see how much power I can get out of it.

How much boost can these handle? I know the compression is higher than the SC version and overall it is not designed for boost, but still cant most engine handle about 6psi?

I can make around 300hp?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. Reliably is the issue. Why not just buy an l67 long block?

------------------

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The L67 is harder to find and more expensive. I was thinking of a winter project. Like I said I can probably get it cheap.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RotrexFiero

3692 posts
Member since Jul 2002
The L67 is harder to find and more expensive. I was thinking of a winter project. Like I said I can probably get it cheap.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pistons, rods and block are different in the L67/L32. The engine was built for boost. Not sure how the N/A engine would respond to boost. Most likely it could take some boost but how much is the question and what will be the reliability?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember from my Corky Bell book on turbocharging he said most engines can tolerate a little boost, mild boosting with problems. I thought it would be a fun project.

I was watching the Saturday morning car shows and they slapped a Vortex SC on a 4.6 L mustang and made an additional 100 hp. I'm no newcomer to supercharging but my Fiero is already wired for boost.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RotrexFiero

3692 posts
Member since Jul 2002
I remember from my Corky Bell book on turbocharging he said most engines can tolerate a little boost, mild boosting with problems. I thought it would be a fun project.

I was watching the Saturday morning car shows and they slapped a Vortex SC on a 4.6 L mustang and made an additional 100 hp. I'm no newcomer to supercharging but my Fiero is already wired for boost.
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
10-15 psi will be fine if everything is set up and tuned right. There are popular kits that reliably run 10psi on stock engines in w bodies.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2015 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, 10-15 psi would be theoretically almost twice the power. That would be close to 400hp at the flywheel.

I would need intercooling with that much boost, and that has always been a problem with the Fiero's mid engine configuration.

Anyway, this guy has not got back to me. I'm waiting to look at the engine but I notice there are lots of 3800 NAs around.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Wow, 10-15 psi would be theoretically almost twice the power. That would be close to 400hp at the flywheel.

I would need intercooling with that much boost, and that has always been a problem with the Fiero's mid engine configuration.

Anyway, this guy has not got back to me. I'm waiting to look at the engine but I notice there are lots of 3800 NAs around.

Meth/water blend injection.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock