Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Repair and armor plate your center console skeleton, by Jimmy S.!!!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Repair and armor plate your center console skeleton, by Jimmy S.!!! by imacflier
Started on: 07-29-2015 11:13 AM
Replies: 3 (834 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 07-29-2015 08:38 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, guys,

I am getting ready to repair a skeleton. While searching the archive for ideas, I found this: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-114587.html

I think this should be moved from the archives to FAQ's and Techniques.

Since I have some 1-1/2 x 1/16 aluminum angle I will use that, but the corner bead in that link is what I would have bought if I did not already have the alum angle on hand!

I will also use E-6000 instead of JB Weld for its superior stick, resistance to vibration, and resistance to heat. E-6000 is just a thinned version of Shoe Goo and even sticks to polyethylene (zip-lock bags!).

Now, any suggestions on how to reinforce the screw holes?

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did something similar many years ago when the HVAC Controls & Radio structure began falling apart.
I used 1/8" alum plate and some alum quarter channel, riveted the structure together. I also used Riv Nuts & machine screws to secure the HVAC Panel and radio. Since the lower portion was still in fair condition I just bolted the new Alum skeleton to the lower plastic skeleton. I'm sure down the road I will be fabricating an aluminum lower skeleton, but so far its held up... over 12 years since I made the frame..

------------------
88 GT
Choptop, Vertical Door Hinges
Lowered Suspension w/ 13" Brake Disk
CarPC - WinXP Pro (GT Sport Edition)
+ a lot more.....

Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

I did something similar many years ago when the HVAC Controls & Radio structure began falling apart.
I used 1/8" alum plate and some alum quarter channel, riveted the structure together. I also used Riv Nuts & machine screws to secure the HVAC Panel and radio. Since the lower portion was still in fair condition I just bolted the new Alum skeleton to the lower plastic skeleton. I'm sure down the road I will be fabricating an aluminum lower skeleton, but so far its held up... over 12 years since I made the frame.. :D

I had that exact same type radio in my old 88 coupe!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock