A/C Seized Up -- RIP by Notorio
Started on: 07-17-2015 08:44 PM
Replies: 5 (228 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 07-18-2015 11:30 PM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Driving happily along yesterday I noticed a burning rubber-like smell, a grinding noise, and wisps of smoke streaming out of the engine vents on my 88GT 5-spd. Having rebuilt my rear caliper recently I thought maybe it was that seizing up. By the time I pulled over and popped the lid things had calmed down so I continued home. This AM I crawled under the car and saw my A/C belt had vanished -- poof! The rusty old clutch (prior owner battery leak) still works but the pulley is extremely difficult to turn.

So looking through old posts I conclude I will need a rebuilt compressor. It's not clear what other parts, if any, I will need. How can I tell if other parts were damaged (e.g. by Black Death.)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old compressors do burn up. Probably best to open and flush out the lines before replacing parts and re-charging. The condenser is particularly prone to clogging so I would blow it clean with air and make sure that its open.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Heddman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't waste your money on a reman, I made that mistake. It only lasted 50mis. Spend a little more and go for a new one, it draws less on the engine and has all the original flaws fixed. Pull and replace you orifice if it's full of goo you have the black death. Before you go any further flush the system. Also be sure to replace your accumulator.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 07-17-2015).]

David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a lifetime warranty from Advance Auto with a new compressor for my '84 SE.
The warranty is valid only if you get a new orifice tube & accumulator and have a work order showing the system was flushed.
It remains to be seen if the warranty will be needed or will be honoured if needed.
I'm hoping the offer of a lifetime warranty is a valid indicator of the vendor's confidence in the compressor quality.
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2015 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
David,

I can't speak to Advanced....but AutoZone has replaced at no charge my oil pressure switch TEN TIMES over a fifteen year period, no receipt required....so I would be hopeful about Advanced.

Larry
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:
I can't speak to Advanced....but AutoZone has replaced at no charge my oil pressure switch TEN TIMES over a fifteen year period, no receipt required....so I would be hopeful about Advanced.
Larry

I've seen a lot of complaints on this forum about Autozone's part quality. Your experience with that oil pressure switch would seem to confirm it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock