1988 caliper rebuild by vette7584
Started on: 07-17-2015 08:59 AM
Replies: 5 (453 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 07-17-2015 08:49 PM
vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone know who makes a good rebuild kit for the 88 calipers? do the kits come with the boots for the slider pins?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're interested, you can still buy New Old Stock OEM front and rebuilt rear calipers.
http://calipersonline.com/f...ftfrontcalipers.aspx

Rebuild kits are available from most auto parts stores. Rock Auto stocks them. They don't inlucde the slider pins. Rock Auto also sells a "Caliper Guide Pin" kit separately.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-17-2015).]

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

If you're interested, you can still buy New Old Stock OEM front and rebuilt rear calipers.
http://calipersonline.com/f...ftfrontcalipers.aspx

Rebuild kits are available from most auto parts stores. Rock Auto stocks them. They don't inlucde the slider pins. Rock Auto also sells a "Caliper Guide Pin" kit separately.

Ayup NAPA didn't carry them the last time I went to buy them but they sold rebuilt ones for almost a hundred bucks each, WTF whatever happened to rebuilding these things yourself, it really isn't that hard or require expensive specialty tools to change a few seals and clean up the walls of the caliper the piston slides in and out of. Worst case you have to rent or borrow a honing tool you can use on a drill. Hell you can borrow them from most parts stores for a deposit that you get back when you return the tool.

Just make sure the walls of the piston and caliper are not rusted to crap and they are almost all rebuild able.

Good luck

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

vette7584

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i had the guy at calipers online rebuild my rear calipers, and bought 2 ac delco rebuilds on ebay. i have my original fronts still as they didnt require a core, i wanted to rebuild them myself, i have rebuilt the 84-87 calipers, they are super easy to rebuild. do you know if the slider boots are included in the kits to rebuild the 88's?
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently used the Fiero Store rebuild kit. You can buy the boots separately. If you look for my thread there is a link in there to an excellent DIY post that explains how you take apart the piston. Mine was full of gunk, perhaps yours is too.

John
Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notorio

2964 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Here is an excerpt from my recent rebuild adventure ...

So gang, the rebuild kit arrived. Here is what I discovered:

1) The sliders were actually OK, at least they slide manually with the same effort before/after my cleaning and lubing.

2) The piston air valve DID have fluid behind it, indicating a bad piston, a la Ogre Cave. With the piston out the caliper bore was chockablock full of sediment and sludge ... it really looked bad. Sorry, in my zeal to clean and rebuild I didn't get a picture of the sludge. By far the worst I have ever seen. I think this solves the mystery of the stuck caliper.

So, I used Incomutt's excellent procedure w/pictures to take apart and clean the piston and replace the seals. The only part you don't get in the kit is the inside piston seal, which if bad would give one the leaky piston air valve. Since the seal and the mating surface looked OK and felt smooth I decided to 'go for it.. I have flushed the Line with fluid and believe I should do the other lines and rebuild those calipers as well -- they must also be filled with sludge and crap, although the other three seem to work fine.

Here's the Link: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-101129.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock