Powered Tilt Steering by bishop144
Started on: 07-16-2015 12:32 PM
Replies: 5 (182 views)
Last post by: dobey on 07-16-2015 01:48 PM
bishop144

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bishop144Send a Private Message to bishop144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my neighbor let me drive her Lincoln Navigator, when we stopped I opened the door and the steering wheel rose up, when I got back in it lowered back to its original position.

My question, is there any way to implement that same system in my project car? (85 SE V6)

I normally raise the steering wheel to get in and out anyways, as I am a tall person, this would be very convenient. Also if I could put this in my project without much difficulty I may do it in my other two.

------------------
Charles Bishop
'87 GT "Cherry"
'85 SE Notchback (The Project)
'84 Indy (In Progress Restoration)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would need to swap in a steering column with an electronic tilt control. Some Cadillacs and Corvettes had these. You'd also need a module to control it and remember the position. The cars with this feature link the positions with the electronic key ID. The steering columns also tend to have power telescoping as well, and seat position and lumbar memory is also retained.

Anything is possible if you've got the skills or are willing to obtain them, and willing to do the necessary engineering and technical work required.
bishop144

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bishop144Send a Private Message to bishop144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you give a specific Cadillac model that the steering columm would be a good fit in the Fiero?

------------------
Charles Bishop
'87 GT "Cherry"
'85 SE Notchback (The Project)
'84 Indy (In Progress Restoration)

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

You would need to swap in a steering column with an electronic tilt control. Some Cadillacs and Corvettes had these. You'd also need a module to control it and remember the position. The cars with this feature link the positions with the electronic key ID. The steering columns also tend to have power telescoping as well, and seat position and lumbar memory is also retained.

Anything is possible if you've got the skills or are willing to obtain them, and willing to do the necessary engineering and technical work required.

I would think this is something the BCM was involved with also....
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bishop144:

Can you give a specific Cadillac model that the steering columm would be a good fit in the Fiero?

I have a column from a 2008 STS that has the features, sitting in my floor. I was originally going to do this in my car. I've since switched to the idea of using a manual tilt column from a Monte Carlo, as I think it better matches the Fiero.

XLR, Escalade, and Corvettes of the same era had a similar column I think, if you got all the right options for it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
I would think this is something the BCM was involved with also....

Yes. The BCM is involved in the OE configuration. A simpler circuit could be built to handle just the steering column though, without requiring a BCM.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock