Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  88 front wheel bearings at 80,000 miles, what to do?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 front wheel bearings at 80,000 miles, what to do? by John W. Tilford
Started on: 07-16-2015 09:57 AM
Replies: 7 (253 views)
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 07-17-2015 02:08 PM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageClick Here to Email John W. TilfordSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the thread about, some day, replacement roller bearings. I've seen complaints about current replacement bearings being inferior, Chinese made, short lived. I've seen the 'how-to' post about repacking, which may or may not extend the life of the original bearings. I drive the 88 GT about four thousand miles a year and would like to continue to do so. What should I do?

------------------
John W. Tilford

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilClick Here to Email PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got about 180,000 miles on my 88 coupe and the original front wheel bearings are still just fine. Unless they are making noise don't worry about them.
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierClick Here to Email imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John,

If your current bearings are still good, you can simply do nothing....or repack them which will do no harm and MIGHT do some good....from your mileage requirements I would probably do nothing at all. If you simply 'must' do something, put Rodney's in...you are not racing so you need only street duty bearings and, so far as I recall, the only issue with his was a few folks who used them for racing.

The bearings in my '88 have 109,000 on them an show no signs that they need to be replaced (I put even fewer miles on mine than do you). I plan to wait until need, then use Rodneys.

Good luck,
Larry
John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageClick Here to Email John W. TilfordSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news! Thank you both. I thought the front wheels would fall off at 81,000. Well, maybe I did not think exactly that, but when the odometer clicked over 80K I did become concerned. I suppose, when that day comes, I could put steerable skids on the front . . .
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 280
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

The bearings in my '88 have 109,000 on them an show no signs that they need to be replaced (I put even fewer miles on mine than do you). I plan to wait until need, then use Rodneys.

I don't have an 88, but for parts that are hard to find or "almost extinct" - I have them on my shelf NOW for when I will need them.
The last thing you want is a part to be "no longer available" 2 years from now when you actually need it.
I figure I can always resell the parts if I sell the car before I need them - especially if the part longer exists.

88 front bearings http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=318

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-16-2015).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 230,000 miles on my (old) 88, and the original front bearings are still good. However, I have a couple of used OEM 88 front hubs in my garage, just in case. My "new" 88 has about 120,000 miles.
Rodney Dickman has 88 front hubs with tapered roller bearings. I hear that they are better than other new replacement hubs, but still not as good as the original.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, I had 200K on one 88 and 150K on another.... no issues. Do nothing at this point.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageClick Here to Email Mickey_MooseSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had about 100k on mine when the passenger one started making noise, but I was lucky enough to still find a set of OEM a few years back. That being said I do have a set of Rodney's on the shelf 'just in case'.

I wouldn't worry about replacing them if they are still good - maybe try repacking them to help them live longer. Your call if you want to buy some spares now while you can.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 07-17-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock