Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any issue with putting 245/60/14's on the back?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any issue with putting 245/60/14's on the back? by bigdust80
Started on: 07-15-2015 06:48 AM
Replies: 11 (221 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 07-16-2015 07:35 AM
bigdust80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigdust80Send a Private Message to bigdust80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm almost to the point where I'm going to be buying new tires for my 86 SE. I wanted to go with the staggered look. I'm planning on putting 215/60/14's on the front and 245/60/14's on the back. Will I encounter and clearance issues with the stock suspension going that wide on the back? Is there anything else I need to worry about?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Other than using the proper width of wheel for the tire, you should have no clearance issues.
245 is a bit wide for a 6" " wheel.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember the exact sizes I had on one of my 85's, but there was a big gap between the front and rear and the huge wheels in the rear looked very much out of place. They were like that because they were tires I had on hand at the time I needed tires. For a more natural look, I would recommend going up only 1 size in the rear, above whatever you put on the front. That's how the GT's are set up. If part of your goal is to fill the wheel wells, try 215's on the front and 225's on the rear.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your talking about filling wheelwells widthwise, bigger number will. If your talking about filling the wheelwells gapwise (between the tire height and fender cut out), a bigger number dont necessarily do anything if the overall tire diameter is near the same. To fill that gap, you have to either increase the tire diameter (increase the sidewall height from ground to rim) usually by going to a higher ratio tire and not a low profile one...like a 70 or 78 series. Going to larger rim and using the same sidewall height tire will also increase overall diameter. Those will throw off the speedo though unless you correct it for that..., or by lowering springs. Most people that use oversize rims like 19" will use lower profile tires (35/40) and keep the same overall diameter which does NOT decrease the gap...it keeps it close to the same as it was. That is called ' Plus one sizing '.
bigdust80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigdust80Send a Private Message to bigdust80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want wider tires in back. Not trying to feel the gap or anything.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned those 245 will be toooooo wide for the stock rims.
I believe they want an 8" wide rim.
Check Tire Racks web site for that info
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watch the clearance to the spring in the rear, if your camber is out it will cut the sidewall out. That happened on mine with a 235 on the rear.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a very short while, I had a pair of 245/60-R14 tires on the back of my '87 SE, with the stock aluminum wheels. They fit OK, although just barely (sidewalls were very close to the struts). But what really bugged me was those tires made the rear end feel really "floaty". And the tires had a tendency to roll over in a turn. I really didn't like that, and removed them quickly.

As the other guys said above, if you want wide tires you need wide wheels.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For width, the general rule is use a rim the same width as the tire across the tread (flat part on the road). ie/ if the tread on the tire is 8" wide, you need 8" rim. That will ensure the tread will be properly on the road and the bead will be seated as designed.
bigdust80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigdust80Send a Private Message to bigdust80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info everybody. I guess I'm going to stick to stock sizes until I get some modern wheels on my se.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 16 x 7 wheels front and rear, went with 205/55 front and 225/55 rear. It really looks good and isn't "Too much" for the car and it's dynamics.

My first car was a 1972 Comet(Like a Maverick) and I bought ET 14 x 6.5 wheels and 235/60 front / 245/60 rear- I could put a foot on the rear wheel and push laterally and move the car a half inch back and forth sideways; I found some Aplliance cross-lace 14 x 8 wheels(Beautiful rims!) and all the wiggle went away- Turn the steering wheel and have instant response- a wider wheel is better...actually, approx' the specific wheel width....A "Guy" down the street has a 350Z with 245/35s on 10" wide rims- the wheel actually sticks out past the tire a half inch...He also has them canted in, and has made his V6 sound like a 2L 4.....He's "Super cool".....especially with the flat-bill turned backwards!
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those guys are like dandelions around here, lol.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock