Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '88 GT w/A.T., Starter not turning, no sound, new battery, starter passed bench test

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'88 GT w/A.T., Starter not turning, no sound, new battery, starter passed bench test by hdryder
Started on: 07-12-2015 04:50 PM
Replies: 9 (155 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 07-13-2015 04:32 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderClick Here to Email hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My stock '88 GT with Auto. Trans. was running fine before I parked it in the back yard last week. Today I tried to start it to bring it around to the driveway for some work.
The starter would not turn over at all, but the gauges moved every time I turned the key for starter. I checked for loose terminals and made sure they were tight, but that made no change.
I next installed a new battery from another car, but there was no change with the new battery. Then I pulled the starter and brought it to both AutoZone and O'Reilly's for a bench test and it passed at both locations. Then I put a socket on the crank pulley to see if the engine would rotate, which it did.
Now I am looking at the 'Starting system' circuit in the Haynes Repair Manual. But electrical trouble shooting is not my strong asset.

Has anyone had a similar starting issue and found the problem?

Thank you for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something to do with the safety switch on the tranny shifter (or wherever it's actually located)?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-12-2015).]

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderClick Here to Email hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Something to do with the safety switch on the tranny shifter (or wherever it's actually located)?

Yes, I was thinking of that also. 'Neutral Safety Switch / Range Sensor'. Mounted on Transmission below the Select Cable connection.
They look fairly affordable on RockAuto, $18.29 to $23.89.
Is the failure rate on the N.S.S. somewhat high?

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-12-2015 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can jump the NSS. I would attempt this before buying one. Just do it with safety in mind. Easy to test NSS this way.

Fusible link bad? How old are the negative and starter wires? Corrosion?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's on top of the steering column, you need to drop the column down to get at it. it May just be the Cable from the shifter adjustment. Will it do anything in neutral ? Or hold the key in start position and move the shifter ?
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderClick Here to Email hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

it's on top of the steering column, you need to drop the column down to get at it. it May just be the Cable from the shifter adjustment. Will it do anything in neutral ? Or hold the key in start position and move the shifter ?

Lou6t4gto, what is the item will I be looking for, on top of the steering column, when I drop the column down?
Thanks.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 190
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whoa!
The ignition switch is on top of the column.
The Neutral Safety Switch is located on the transmission, under the shifter lever. It is adjustable.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 190
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

14181 posts
Member since May 2004
Your problem sounds like a dirty ground on the battery ground cable to me......
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this happen once, back when I had a Fiero with an auto transmission. I went out to the car to start it, and nothing... not even a click from the starter solenoid. I went through the whole starting system. The battery was fully charged, connections were good, starter worked when the solenoid was shorted with a screwdriver, etc.

Then I got out the manual and looked at the electrical schematics. I noticed a connection on the transmission for the park/neutral safety switch wiring. So I went and checked that. The plastic tab that held the electrical plug in place had broken, and it worked loose. After I shoved the plug back in, the car fired right up.

The electrical plug I'm talking about is a big wide plug on top of the transmission, next to where the shifter cable attaches. If you want to bypass the park/neutral switch, you can run a jumper between the big purple wire and the big yellow wire on this electrical plug. Don't just use a paperclip. The solenoid draws too much current. It'll probably melt the paperclip.

Also, FYI the park/neutral safety switch is actually on the transmission (It also doubles as the backup light switch). That's why the wiring goes to the transmission. The switch in the steering column is the steering interlock. It locks the shifter in Park when the steering wheel is locked. It doesn't affect the starter.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-13-2015).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieClick Here to Email Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would agree with others that it may be the safety switch. My Formula does this every now and then. I just shift down out of park and back into park and it fires right up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock