Right head light motor won't go down by Wittendorf1986
Started on: 07-12-2015 04:44 AM
Replies: 3 (123 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-13-2015 07:36 AM
Wittendorf1986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wittendorf1986Send a Private Message to Wittendorf1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 headlight motors have been rebuilt and with new relays and they were working fine and then the right motor started not going down. So I removed it and plugged it in on the other side and it worked fine no trouble at all. Any ideas how to find out what is causing this problem and where to start. I also replaced the headlight switch awhile back
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, try swapping out the motor relays. Even though new, it's possible one of the relays failed. The relays have two circuits, one for up and one for down. Also, be sure that the barrel connector was surely engaged. Sometimes they don't latch together and the ground is lost.

Wittendorf1986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wittendorf1986Send a Private Message to Wittendorf1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just tried to swap out relays same thing doesn't go down I felt the plug click when I pushed it in, I also cleaned the plug out
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suspect that one of the brushes popped off the limiter switch. If you bump the knob with your fist or get it started will it go the rest of the way down on it's own? If the answer is no, remove the assembly to the point that you can remove the plate covering the limiter switch. Without removing it, carefully examine to see if both brushes are still attached to their spring arms. Also, peek up underneath the knob to be sure the rubber D weather seal isn't visible. It should be down inside the top of the case halves.

I don't believe it would be the isolation relay. I don't have a schematic for it, but I believe the up and down switching is done at the motor relay.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock