Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Question on Rodney Dickman repair piece.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Question on Rodney Dickman repair piece. by weaselbeak
Started on: 07-10-2015 09:50 PM
Replies: 3 (357 views)
Last post by: Tuna Helper on 07-11-2015 04:05 PM
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought new shift cables from Rodney, top notch stuff to be sure. The bracket that holds the cables at the trans was broken at the end, so I bought Rodney's repair piece. More really nice stuff. The guy is tops. Years ago I bought his clutch cylinder stuff and never looked back. So now the question. I have a standard 3800 swap on my 86 with the Muncie 4 speed. One of the shift cables sits uncomfortably close to my exhaust crossover. Could I gain a tiny bit of clearance without causing trouble if I offset the repair piece a small amount? I haven't melted a cable because the heat wrap I used worked pretty good, but would like even a 1/8 or 1/4 inch more clearance. I don't know if Rodney has had anyone ever try this before.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed Rodney's shift cables for my 3800sc aNd 4 spd Muncie . Definitely top quality parts! I have the regular attachment point at the tranny and a modded crossover made by fieroflyer. The one cable is almost touching the crossover but has that nice thick heat wrap. It is uncomfortably close though. Not sure if I'm helping but I don't think it'll burn through that heat shielding.
At least I hope not!!
If there was a "fingers crossed" smiley I'd insert it here.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress--IT'S ALIVE !!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can always buy longer cables if what your saying doesn't work out. Whatever length you want from west coast

------------------

Tuna Helper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah some people have done that, and some have built a "third" bracket to just offset the cables one spot, which is what I did, but after I changed the clutch I couldn't shift into second anymore. Now I've got Camaro manifolds on and the cables back in the correct places.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock