Strut brace and 3800SC by Adjustso3
Started on: 07-09-2015 10:37 PM
Replies: 11 (273 views)
Last post by: ITALGT on 07-10-2015 07:29 PM
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anybody know if the Fiero Store strut brace will work with the 3800SC swap ? Is anybody using one ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure what you mean by "does it work". As far as I know, it is just a decorative item that doesn't actually do anything, kind of like the Indy scoops, holley scoops, spoilers, etc.. If you mean "does it fit with a 3800" then the answer is yes.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it works to make it harder to get to the engine . LOL
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply guys. I really meant if it will fit and not contact the engine. This brace doesn't offer any strength value ? I know they look kinda cool but always thought it provided more strength to the engine compartment. Or are you guys saying the FS one is just a decoration.
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe its just because its a fiero. In other cars it does help. From what I have read, not 100% sure on this, the firewall actually makes the car very rigid. There is also 2 firewalls in a way, front and back.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I was hoping it would add some more strength on top. Not that my 3800SC is gonna be any torque monster but assumed it would be better than just a dogbone for the engine. It's in the mall for $75 and thought it would be a good add on for support.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The strut towers are already braced due to the design of the spaceframe. The front trunk wall is in close proximity to the towers and it has a reinforcement to increase rigidity.
The add on stut tower brace is only for looks.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

Ok, I was hoping it would add some more strength on top. Not that my 3800SC is gonna be any torque monster but assumed it would be better than just a dogbone for the engine. It's in the mall for $75 and thought it would be a good add on for support.

As long at the engine is supported in the same manner as when in the original vehicle, you shouldn't have an issue with "torque". The strut tower brace is "supposed" to keep the towers from moving, but as mentioned, the trunk firewall does the same thing.

Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I guess I'll pass on the strut brace. I appreciate the replys.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you pull back the carpet in the trunk you will see there is a factory strut tower brace, by design.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strut tower brace does do something. It adds more weight!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Strut tower brace does do something. It adds more weight!

Dennis pretty much summed it up right there.

Cutting/removing the thin trunk metal to make room for custom exhaust is really not a problem for most engine swaps. If the main trunk-wall cross-bracing that came from the factory isn't compromised structurally, you're good to go. Most engine swaps don't require the brace to be messed with. If you remove the factory brace, that's a different story. Something needs to connect the strut towers together to prevent chassis flex. Personal example:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/000066-7.html#p240

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock