sloppy head bolt holes by Ramon
Started on: 07-09-2015 01:25 PM
Replies: 3 (106 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 07-09-2015 06:03 PM
Ramon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamonClick Here to Email RamonSend a Private Message to RamonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How sloppy is too sloppy? I cant remember how tight the threads were after taking the head off originally.... My brother bought a 87 GT with broken valve spring and bad seals.

After repairing my fiero's head a few months ago I felt confident to take on the job. However I don't remember the bolts being this sloppy. the head looks like it has never been removed.

Video

In the video I'm using a new head bolt and each hole is pretty much the same. The old bolts looked clean no rust no coolant leaking pass the threads. The thread holes in the block look clean no rust pitting.

Am I thinking to much on this or what?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's going to be some slop, even on fresh threads with brand new bolts. And as a matter of fact, when I rebuilt my 2.8 V6, the new head bolts had a similar amount of slop. The only problem I had was due to the fact that I didn't put enough sealant on the bolt threads. So some coolant seeped through the threads.

Make sure to use plenty of sealant on those head bolts, and you should be OK.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-09-2015).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont the heads have a couple of alignment pins to position it correctly ? If they do, the head bolts only hold them down.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, each head has 2 alignment pins, in opposite corners.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock