Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Oil Pressure Switch and Water Temperature Sensor: 1/8" Pipe Thread?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Oil Pressure Switch and Water Temperature Sensor: 1/8" Pipe Thread? by imacflier
Started on: 07-09-2015 10:01 AM
Replies: 8 (440 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 07-12-2015 06:55 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am investigating replacing a couple of meters with digital meters. I have the option of receiving new sensors with various threads. Is the stock thread for the Oil Pressure Switch and the Water Temperature Sensor 1/8" Pipe Thread or 1/4" Pipe Thread or some metric pipe thread? I have not been able to find anything definitive in the FSM and probably would not recognize the difference if I had the sensors side by side.

Anybody know what thread I should ask for?

TIA,
Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oil pressure switch is 1/4-18 NPTF . The coolant temperature sensors for the ECM and gauge are larger. Probably 3/8.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, sir, muchly appreciated.

Larry
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, guys,

If you are looking at aftermarket gauges and need to know the correct thread for the sensor, I just got back from Autozone and screwed adapters onto the Oil Pressure Switch and the Coolant Temperature Sender (not the one that goes to the computer, the one that goes to the gauges).

Oil Pressure Switch: 1/4" NPT

Coolant Temp Sender: 3/8" NPT
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so, to drill and tap the end of a 3800 intake for a Mechanical water gauge, the tap is 3/8"NPT , right ? thanks
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. IF you are using the Fiero sender....other senders may have other thread sizes.

Larry
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou, I think you might find mechanical gauges with different threads. If you're considering doing this on a 3800 intake, I would procure my gauge first and determine the thread size before drilling and tapping. The 3/8 is the size of the stock Fiero sending unit for the in-dash gauge.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12810 posts
Member since Jan 2002

Originally posted by fierofool:

Lou, I think you might find mechanical gauges with different threads. If you're considering doing this on a 3800 intake, I would procure my gauge first and determine the thread size before drilling and tapping. The 3/8 is the size of the stock Fiero sending unit for the in-dash gauge.

Edit: For some reason, I didn't see Larry's last comment. Double post on my part, I guess.

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea, the aftermarket gauges (Mechanical) have a pretty large fitting, Bushing looks to be about 3/4" that the sender nut actually screws into.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock