Adding power locks to base model 84 ? by Scott2scott
Started on: 07-04-2015 04:01 PM
Replies: 24 (329 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 07-09-2015 02:16 PM
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i have a 84 true base model no power anything. And i parted out my 86gt fastback and have all the wiring from it as a donor. I have the door wiring out and the door actuators to so i have the parts parts handled. I have the whole inside dash/ body harness laid out on the driveway trying to find excelty what part i need from it to put into my 84 base. Something that runs under dash from door to door and some fuse rely or something. Any help or pics would be great . Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get the relay block out of the 86?
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have all the wiring from the 86 still. except the engine harness. So the yes the have it just dont know what it looks like . Is it the relay near passenger door with the little ground wire near it?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see door actuators on eBay for about $4.00 per unit and a kit for $20. I guess that they would work but some creative wiring might be necessary. There are also remote control units for door openers there for $10.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already have the door parts . Acts and door wiring . And i have abunch of keyless systems already. Just need to know what wiring under the dash i need to install from my 86 that had full power to my 84 base.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

I have all the wiring from the 86 still. except the engine harness. So the yes the have it just dont know what it looks like . Is it the relay near passenger door with the little ground wire near it?

Ya, there should be 2 relays in the block.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I already have the door parts . Acts and door wiring . And i have abunch of keyless systems already. Just need to know what wiring under the dash i need to install from my 86 that had full power to my 84 base.

You can get power from the fuse box if needed. You can also activate a open fuse space and use that. Usually the pins are there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
www.michiganfieroclub.com under tech tips is my write for adding power windows. I believe locks are covered also.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today i added the door acts. And door wiring. Put into the car at both sides that was all ez. Then i found the dash harness that runs from to door to door under the dash. Put that in. Then i mounted the relay on passenger side and little ground wire. And connected by door wires to the connectors in car off hanress. That was all pretty simple. Now i have one problem. On the donor harness on drivers side there a big white plug with wires plug into it. When i look up under my dash i see that plug And there coulpe wires on the donor harness That are already being used on my car . So should i splice into them or ? And on swap harness theres a pink wire and a free spot on my car that it gos into so that one sloves itself. But the two im having trouvle with are at the very left side .
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Scott2scott

686 posts
Member since Jun 2014
I guess it would be called the c200 . On 84 fiero
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok today to make my life easy. I took the door harness and cross car harness back out . Añd removed the wireing for power windows off everything plus the switchs just to leave me with the wireing for the power lock acts and unlock/botton añd the relay. Then retaped it all back up makes it look so much better or ez to wire now. Everything is back in my 84 doors are hooked into harness and relay mounted under dash on passenger side like it shloud be. I have two wires now coming off the donor cross car harness that i think is all i need to hook into power now. One solid orange wire that i think needs a 20amp fuse added to it then a 12volt source. Then the other is orange/black stripe that needs 30amp fuse added then a 12volt source. And i think it gets ground from the relay bolted to frame? I think this is all right to finish adding power locks to my 84
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And i think it gets ground from the relay bolted to frame? I think this is all right to finish adding power locks to my 84

No actually it switches the power and grounds at the relay if I remember right, that's how the system works and why you have relay. But see if you can find a wiring diagram as I don't have one in Hal that I can remember just to be sure you don't hook them up, backwards. I am not sure what that would do to the system or relay.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your car didn't have power options there will be nothing to plug those harnesses into. I did what Dennis suggested and bought aftermarket actuators and created my own harnesses. It's too confusing to try to reverse engineer what Pontiac did and then try to re-create it.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing What iv done is like an aftermartket one now. Theres only two wires on acts Like an aftermarket one. Then with the cross harness just runs from door to door and to the relay . This is no diff i dont think than an aftermaket system im just useing stuff i already have. Everything is mounted and ran in the doors already. From what iv read others have hooked one the orange /blace wire to fiero fuse box at 30amp pwr acc . And the other wire solid orange to 20amp to ctsy/lid to do what im trying to finish. I dont want aftemarket fob or keyless system. I have tons of factory GM keyless system with GM remotes i want to use. Why buy more things when i already have everything already. According to wireing diagram the only wires needed for hookin up just power locks are the two orange wires . And that what i have left.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a power lock actuator handy, but iirc there was only 2 wires going to it.. and what you are calling a relay box, is what reverses the polarity for lock /unlock..
or is that done in the door switch?? I'll dig out my Pontiac dealer 3 ring shop manual for the 84 and the 87 and look tonight..
if done in the switch it be cake, but I doubt it as there would be no need for a "relay box"

Edit, just looked at the manual, the relay box is what changes the polarity ..

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.powerdoorlockwire by furgal, on Flickr huge photo

powerdoorlockwire by furgal, on Flickr
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

No actually it switches the power and grounds at the relay if I remember right, that's how the system works and why you have relay. But see if you can find a wiring diagram as I don't have one in Hal that I can remember just to be sure you don't hook them up, backwards. I am not sure what that would do to the system or relay.

Steve

The relay must be bolted to the frame (for grounding purposes).... I was testing my install and forgot to ground the relay box and it didn't function.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
My install instructions....
http://www.michiganfieroclub.com/files/power.pdf

includes wiring diagrams
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2015 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by jscott1:

If your car didn't have power options there will be nothing to plug those harnesses into. I did what Dennis suggested and bought aftermarket actuators and created my own harnesses. It's too confusing to try to reverse engineer what Pontiac did and then try to re-create it.

My car didn't have power options, but I bought the harness and it plugged in just fine.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll never understand g.m.'s thinking back then.. option group 1 power windows and tilt, group 2 cruise and power door locks..
you'd think it be cheaper for them to have it group 1 power locks/windows group2 tilt and cruise..
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys . Yea thats the same wireing diamgram im going by . So i just have to hook the two orange wires upto power at the fuse box and the relay is mounted so i should be all set if im understanding the dîamgram right.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

My car didn't have power options, but I bought the harness and it plugged in just fine.

Yeah sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually you may be wrong about that, the 80s was when we started using a dashboard harness that had all the wires for all the options, they found it was easier and cheaper to make the dash harness set up for any options than have to change it because someone put the wrong harness in a dashboard. not a big deal to replace before the dashboard was installed but one royal pain in the but if it was in the car.

I worked at GM at their assembly plants in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s as utility/repair.

Steve
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

I think my Fiero had footwell lights, and I believe the wires went to this white junction box, otherwise, I plugged into it for the power accessories. Now, it may be a case that the white junction box was not there if you had a truly stripped down model.
Scott2scott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the white box up there i just dont understand it there is stuff plug in already to spaces i need sooo i figured i would cheat abit and wire the orange wires with inline fuses to the black fuse box. And yes my car has footwell lights
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have the white box up there i just dont understand it there is stuff plug in already to spaces i need sooo i figured i would cheat abit and wire the orange wires with inline fuses to the black fuse box. And yes my car has footwell lights

Yup, there should have been space for the additional plugs. That is what I did on an '88.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock