2.8 lifter tick by fieromatty
Started on: 07-04-2015 01:30 PM
Replies: 18 (503 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-06-2015 02:57 AM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys. So I have a n fully machined motor in my car. After my 2000 mile move from CO to FL, I have developed a lifter tick. I thought that the motor just needed a valve adjustment after its first big trip. I pulled the valve covers off and haven't found anything wrong with the rockers (comp 1.52 rollers). I am now guessing I have something wrong with the hydraulic lifters?

I just moved into an apartment and don't have a garage. So all my motor work is done overnight in a Walmart parking lot. What is you opinion on what I should do. The lifter tick is quiet but annoying.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't changed the oil since arriving in Florida, I would start there, and substitute a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer for a quart of oil.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

I pulled the valve covers off and haven't found anything wrong with the rockers (comp 1.52 rollers).

When you say you didn't find "anything wrong with the rockers", did you actually go through the adjustment procedure for each rocker... or did you just look to see if any rocker nuts had obviously backed off?

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rotated the engine over and checked to see how loose each rocker was. None of them were loose at all. But I didn't re adjust them fully. Was way too hot and tired.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieromatty

393 posts
Member since Apr 2010
I did change the oil w/ some sea foam I like valveoline w/ wix filters
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I rotated the engine over and checked to see how loose each rocker was. None of them were loose at all. But I didn't re adjust them fully.

After having gone through the trouble to get that far, and especially considering you were concerned about a "tick", I think I would've re-adjusted all the rockers.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://youtu.be/vSMUxDRgerg

U saying I should readjust them all from scratch? Like back them out and re adjust them?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://youtu.be/vSMUxDRgerg

Private?

U saying I should readjust them all from scratch? Like back them out and re adjust them?

Well... yeah! How else are you going to know if they were all done right? The lifters might've been adjusted without enough pre-load, and now that the cam and lifters have broken in, there's possibly now not enough pre-load... and therefore "ticking".

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-04-2015).]

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try the vid now. Sorry.

Do u have a link to the adjustment process. I don't want to have to do this again.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Try the vid now. Sorry.

In the video it's difficult to distinguish lifter "clacking" from an exhaust leak. Get a mechanics stethoscope. They practically give them away at Harbor Freight. That'll help plenty in finding the source of the noise.

Do u have a link to the adjustment process. I don't want to have to do this again.

I don't have a link handy, but this has been discussed lots of times here. Shouldn't be difficult to find.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I always try to throw this Looney a positive for his experience and knowledge.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I always try to throw this Looney a positive for his experience and knowledge.

Or just throw me a Loonie.

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does a toad do with money.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have seafoam in it?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What does a toad do with money?

Flies don't grow on trees.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As was suggested, make sure you don't have an exhaust leak. A tiny little leak can sound like a lifter tick.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I started it today. I didn't hear it. Then I romped on the gas and it came back. I wouldn't think it's exhaust because I welded that header b4 putting the motor in. Plus its not consistent. I am going to do the full adjustment tonight. I'll let u know how it goes.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieromatty

393 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Lol. So I went to the Walmart parking lot today to get started (I don't have a garage anymore), but before I could even start the rain came and washed me out. So I said to my self I would do it later. I decided to drive to taco bell because it was close and I was hungry. I went in through the entrance and there was this huge pot hole which I didn't see due to the rain. Well my stupid belt popped off because I hit it so hard. I was wanting to replace it just had not gotten around to it. I had the new one in the car with me. I made it through the drive thru, ate, and got out of the car to change the belt. Turns out the pully bolts for the water pump backed out. 2 where missing and the other two on their last thread. I bolted them down thinking to my self I was glad I didn't loose the pully all together. Got it together and started it up. It took me a moment to realise but my lifter tick was gone. It was the damn loose pully!!!!! I ran over to home depot grabbed some new bolts and winched em down with locktite red.

Just one of those laugh it off... I am an idiot type moments. Glad the rain came.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Turns out the pully bolts for the water pump backed out. 2 where missing and the other two on their last thread. I bolted them down thinking to my self I was glad I didn't loose the pully all together. Got it together and started it up. It took me a moment to realise but my lifter tick was gone. It was the damn loose pully!!!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock