Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to modify engine cradle to accept 3800 SC?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to modify engine cradle to accept 3800 SC? by Darth Z
Started on: 07-04-2015 03:02 AM
Replies: 5 (544 views)
Last post by: Darth Z on 07-06-2015 02:52 AM
Darth Z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I tried the search feature, and didn't find what I was looking for. Where can I find a diagram of the modifications that need to be made to complete a 3800 SC and tranny swap? I don' t have an engine yet, but I could modify my engine cradle in preparation for when I do. A diagram would be helpful for anyone else looking to do this swap as well. Thanks in advance.

------------------
2010 Jeep Wrangler
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
1987 Pontiac Fiero
1957 Chevrolet Corvette LS6-swapped (LOOOOOOONG-term project)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's just modded to attach the auto trans mounts....

I just completed a 3800sc swap and didnt mod the cradle at all. It i used the stock 4 spd tranny.

I used fierorog's engine mount (and low alt and dogbone mount too).

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress--IT'S ALIVE !!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you building or purchasing your mounts?

I would wait until you have your drivetrain.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you want to lower the drivetrain to allow the alternator and coil bracket to clear the decklid and hinge, the 4t65e-hd will fit with no mods to the cradle.

Low mount alternator/notch the decklid and hinge notch are the solution otherwise. <---- Easier and faster

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 07-04-2015).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year Cradle? There is a difference. You are better of waiting until you have your mounts and engine/trans. I've done a few - things change slightly!
Darth Z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is an '87. I don't have a powertrain yet. It will definitely be a 3800 SC and I want the 4T65E-HD. I would prefer to set the engine further into the cradle, to avoid have to notch the deck lid. I also want to go this route, to keep the center of gravity lower. I'm sure it wouldn' t affect the center of gravity by very much, but every little bit helps. I' m sure I can find a welder, but I'll have to bring him the cradle, engine, and tranny. I was just hoping to drop the cradle, pull the Duke, have the cradle modified, and then reassemble. I wasn' t sure if I would need the custom engine mounts, or if the cradle could be modified to accept the engine/tranny with the old mounts. This will be my first engine swap project, so I am pretty green here.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock