Gen V Supercharger on L67 Questions by Riddick85
Started on: 07-03-2015 06:15 PM
Replies: 4 (782 views)
Last post by: Riddick85 on 07-04-2015 05:51 PM
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright so I just picked up a good used Gen V super, intake and bolts for my 3800. 85GT and my engine has no EGR, no EVAP solenoid, no boost bypass and no trouble codes. I have read many threads on many forums but I still have a few questions.

1. Could I use the stock l67 throttle body IF it is ported to 75mm to keep the stock electronics(MAF, TPS, IAC) or should I go with a northstar?

2. PCV is different? I have to run a line back to the intake?

3. When it is all installed, do I need to tune it or will it run on the stock tune?

4. I have a 3.4 pulley that will eventually end up on it. Should I just save up and get the intercooler installed at the same time or will it run just fine without? (by run fine I mean no KR)

5. Should I block off any coolant passages since I will have the super off? I just left it stock when I put the swap together so just looking for some input on a possible change.

I am sure I will have more questions but that is it for now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

Alright so I just picked up a good used Gen V super, intake and bolts for my 3800. 85GT and my engine has no EGR, no EVAP solenoid, no boost bypass and no trouble codes. I have read many threads on many forums but I still have a few questions.

1. Could I use the stock l67 throttle body IF it is ported to 75mm to keep the stock electronics(MAF, TPS, IAC) or should I go with a northstar?

2. PCV is different? I have to run a line back to the intake?

3. When it is all installed, do I need to tune it or will it run on the stock tune?

4. I have a 3.4 pulley that will eventually end up on it. Should I just save up and get the intercooler installed at the same time or will it run just fine without? (by run fine I mean no KR)

5. Should I block off any coolant passages since I will have the super off? I just left it stock when I put the swap together so just looking for some input on a possible change.

I am sure I will have more questions but that is it for now.

Let me take a stab at these questions:
1. You can use the L67 throttle body or ported stock but a pre 2000 N* is the better way to go. ZZ Performance sells an adapter plate and you will need to use one or the other. .
2. Yes just run a hose to the air filter OR use a valve cover breather as the air input.
3. Engine should run with the stock tune but the tables in the L32 engine PCM are different. With the new combo tuning will be required for maximum horsepower.
4. A 3.4 pulley on a Gen V supercharger will give you some KR's Less timing and more fuel didn't even eliminate them on my install. Installed the ZZP SSIC and all is now fine. Also add a 180* stat , a 3" exhaust and use Autolite 104 plugs (or equivalent) Do not use platinum plugs as that can cause KR's.
5. I would block off the coolant passages to the supercharger. I believe the "coolant" actually heats it not cools it. You can buy a gasket that doesn't have the coolant passage holes. On my install we threaded the holes and used pipe plugs and sealant to eliminate the function.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright I will just add the SS intercooler when I do the swap so I don't have issues. I already have 180 thermostat, 3" exhaust (no headers tho) and 104's.

I will just get a N* TB then. Can I use all the N* sensors then with a little wiring change?

Could I just put a nipple where the EVAP is and run the PCV to there or does it have to be before the throttle plate?

Should I change my fuel injectors to bigger or can I leave stock?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I have it all on and running soon after my list of parts is all bought.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

Alright I will just add the SS intercooler when I do the swap so I don't have issues. I already have 180 thermostat, 3" exhaust (no headers tho) and 104's.

I will just get a N* TB then. Can I use all the N* sensors then with a little wiring change?

Could I just put a nipple where the EVAP is and run the PCV to there or does it have to be before the throttle plate?

Should I change my fuel injectors to bigger or can I leave stock?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I have it all on and running soon after my list of parts is all bought.

N* Throttle body has a different connector but will function and give you more flow. If you do not want to rewire and do plug and play, ZZ sells a conversion connector. Ask ZZ Performance what year N* throttle bodies bolt to their adapter. I used a 2000but in the range of 2000-2005 will work. Earlier N* throttle bodies have a different bolt pattern.
PVC valve connects internally through the supercharger. The evap solenoid is replaced with a metal plate.
Stock injectors should work with your combo but making more changes like adding a cam may cause them to run short.
As for the SSIC or full size with the series V and 3.4" pulley, some will tell you that you don't need it. My experience proves otherwise. Order the FMHE from Frozen Boost . ZZ's FMHE is made for the Grand Prix.
No problem offering suggestions. Sharing ideas, opinions and knowledge is fun.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-04-2015).]

Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seem ZZP only sells an adapter for the 2000+ N* so unless there is another reputable company that sells them for the earlier ones I will be going that route. DarthFiero said in a few threads I read that the earlier ones are nice because they have a MAF housing that bolts to it on the N* engine and it will accept the stock 3800 MAF sensor. Not sure which I should grab at the junkyard on monday.

I will definitely just put a SS intercooler now since I was going to get one anyway. I have archie rockers so I was going to mount a heat exchanger in the scoop area behind the passenger door and have the water tank in my trunk or maybe battery area. Is there a reason this would not be a good idea? Also, with a SS intercooler, does the super hit the decklid?

Thanks again, you are saving me a lot of guessing and testing

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock