Rear deck release solenoid inoperative by Cajun
Started on: 07-02-2015 06:20 PM
Replies: 13 (214 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-04-2015 01:26 PM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what ever the reason my rear deck release solenoid quite working. After some troubleshooting I have discovered the solenoid is not grounded. How is or where does the solenoid grounded?

Where does the ground signal originate?

Thanks for the help....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The solenoid is grounded by being attached to the locking mechanism that is grounded when it is on the latch.

In other words, it will only work with the deck lid closed or if you touch a grounded wire to the lock mechanism.

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 07-02-2015).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doug85GT, thanks for your response. That makes sense, I will check that out.

My testing was done with the rear deck open.
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ground the solenoid with a piece of wire. If it works then make sure the latch is clean for a good connection
ironworker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ironworkerSend a Private Message to ironworkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same thong happened to mine. I had to clean the latch so it could ground. After that it worked fine.

------------------
Whether you think you can, or you can't, your right (henry ford)

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes ground only when closed via the loop.
Just pull up and try it if is not making contact.
If something got in closed like on a store bag then hope you have a key.
Sometimes a wire ground to the lock is good for this too. (if people don't "shave" the lock.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

HarryT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryTSend a Private Message to HarryTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine won't open with the engine running or just the key on.
Harry
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few safeties in the circuit that vary due to year and transmission.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Ogre's third comment above, where something gets on the loop, like a shop rag or trash bag, the latch can't make ground through the loop. Even if you don't have a key that fits the deck lock, you can insert any key partially into the cylinder, or for that matter, just use a piece of wire that has one end attached to a good ground on the body. Hold the other end to the key or face of the cylinder, have someone press the release and the latch will open.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, it works fine now, all I had to do was close it!

Damn, I hate it when the solution is hidden in plain sight.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HarryT:

Mine won't open with the engine running or just the key on.
Harry

Have you tried it with the parking brake on?

PFF
System Bot
HarryT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryTSend a Private Message to HarryTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
David
I wasn't complaining about mine not working while engine is running, just making sure his key was off. I think it is a good safety factor as I wouldn't want miy hatch unlatching while going down the road and not realizing the light was on until the next time I drove it.
Harry

[This message has been edited by HarryT (edited 07-04-2015).]

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to back when my brake system was in very poor shape, I noticed that the deck lid will not open via switch with the car running unless the BRAKE warning light is illuminated. I haven't looked at the wiring diagrams yet to verify this hunch, but they must have something to do with each other. Pull the parking brake and see if the Brake light comes on. If not there may be a problem there, but that could also just mean the parking brake sensor is messed up. You want the BRAKE warning light to come on and then try the deck lid is what I am trying to get at.

TLDR: If the car is running and the BRAKE fault light is off, the deck lid will not work. With BRAKE warning light on, the deck lid will work under power.

Edit; more clarification

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 07-04-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stick trans w/ power trunk is active only when hand brake is on. See link I posted above.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock