fiero won't start (no spark) when hot by AwesomeNate666
Started on: 07-02-2015 11:00 AM
Replies: 7 (505 views)
Last post by: Hudini on 07-05-2015 05:09 AM
AwesomeNate666

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AwesomeNate666Send a Private Message to AwesomeNate666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I done some work on my fiero (v6 2.8), I changed exhaust and distributer cap and rotor. And the car started fine and I had it running in the driveway. Car ran perfect and then started sputtering and shut off.i guessed it was coil or feel filter so the next week I changed both. (Fram and msd blaster) the car started and Ran perfectly again. I went for a quick ride then back home and shut the car off. Tried to restart and nothing. I checked for spark and nothing. I have the msd box (was on the car when I got it approx 5 years old) I'm wondering if it's the box or something else?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ironworker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ironworkerSend a Private Message to ironworkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked for 12v at the msd box and at the coil?

------------------
Whether you think you can, or you can't, your right (henry ford)

AwesomeNate666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AwesomeNate666Send a Private Message to AwesomeNate666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't yet I haven't had the chance but it's a good place to start for sure!
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar issue when i first purchased my 86se many years ago. turns out i had over- gapped the plugs. it put extra strain on the coil so it would heat up and stop working.
every time it cooled down it would start like new.
AwesomeNate666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AwesomeNate666Send a Private Message to AwesomeNate666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never thought of over gapped plugs! Could be but I've had the car for a few months and never had this problem before. But I'll check that out too! Thanks!
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a dying Ignition Control Module. It runs fine when cold but sputters and dies when hot. The time between runs is getting shorter and shorter. Soon it will not start at all.
AwesomeNate666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AwesomeNate666Send a Private Message to AwesomeNate666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that sounds like what's happening. Any way u can yest this?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well in the very recent past you could take the old ICM to parts stores like Autozone or Advance and they had a machine to test ICMs. The trick was to test it 2 or 3 times to get it very hot. I have read a thread or two where folks say these testing machines are becoming harder to find. I'd suggest calling around to find one before heading out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock