Started on: 07-02-2015 06:49 AM
Replies: 9 (187 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 07-06-2015 08:56 AM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This just happened last night so Im putting the question out there so I can look at it this Holiday weekend. 86GT, but I have the 2nd gen 88 headlight motors. The passenger side decided it didn't want to go up. I just put these in last summer and I replaced the common plastic bushings when I put them in. Whats my most likely issue. Thanks

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you turn on the lights, does the motor run but won't lift the light?
Or, can you start to raise the light manually by turning the knob a little, then activate the switch and make it go up by itself?
Does it go down by itself if it's raised?
Answers to these may help in diagnosis responses.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try... See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

maybe... Screw at bottom has a small loose ball bearing.
clean and lube the bearing.
Adjust so motor shaft has a tiny bit of play. Never "preload" the bearing.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem about a week ago on my Formula. Mine would go up if you manually turn the knob to loosen it slightly. My gear was cracked down the middle.
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dylpro

249 posts
Member since Apr 2015
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/135772.html
Skip past the first few posts, my own ignorance through there!

[This message has been edited by Dylpro (edited 07-02-2015).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips guys. It gives me a place to start looking. Im off the next 4 days, if it ever stops raining. I do know that the motor doesn't run when I go to manually put the light up.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked at this today. Plugged passenger side into driver side and motor works perfect. Did voltage test at plug. Not getting 12 volts at the passenger side plug. Module must be bad. There's nothing else it could be. Odd that the driver side still works though.

Jim
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The module acts as an Isolation Relay. Each motor is on a separate part of the module, otherwise when resistance builds on one, the other would stop, too, even though it might not be completely up or down.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:
Module must be bad. There's nothing else it could be. Odd that the driver side still works though.

Not really. One side doesn't know when other side is dead.

Caution: "Dead" module can still be a iffy motor or a short in wire to the motor.
P side wire goes around radaitor etc and edges can cut into wires.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the wires and there are no raw spots, pinches, or crimps. There is no power to the plug on the passenger side when motor is unplugged and we turn on the lights. Passenger motor works perfectly on driver side. So I think that eliminates all of those objections.

Jim

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock