Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Changing sealed beam headlight- is this really necessary?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Changing sealed beam headlight- is this really necessary? by cam-a-lot
Started on: 07-01-2015 07:15 PM
Replies: 3 (146 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 07-03-2015 01:32 PM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 95
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since my technical skills with cars are pathetic to say the least, I decided to go online just to see if there was anything unusual about changing the headlight.

Is it really necessary to remove the entire assembly? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGO0p5bDUi4

I can't imagine that the car was designed to make it THIS much effort to change a burnt out headlight. I will tackle it tomorrow- but I assume this is not really needed?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Click Here to Email johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. Raise the light up and look for a single blue wire with a connector ( I think its near the relay ) and disconnect the connector. then you can turn the lights off but the bulb will stay up, and you can change the bulb like a normal car. I don't remember if the plastic trim on the front of the bulb has to come off, but its easy enough to remove.

The blue wire disconnect can be used in the winter to keep the lights raised when you turn them off. Each motor has a single blue wire that will leave the lights raised when off.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John's correct. Unplug the harness from the back of the headligh and with the headlight raised, remove the torx screw on either side of the headlight that holds the black plastic shield. There is also a similar torx screw on the front top corners. Remove those and work the plastic trim out. When reinstalling, be sure to not over-tighten the two on the sides. Sometimes the plastic stem they screw into will break off.

With the plastic trim removed, look at the top edge of the bulb and you will see two screws that hold the chrome headlight bulb trim in place. I've had good luck in removing these two screws and pulling the trim outward enough to remove the bulb. Depending on the condition of the chrome trim ring, the tabs on the bottom might break off. Those trim pieces are common and can be found at your parts stores. The reason I do it this way is because the lower two screws can be very difficult to access. Raising or lowering the hood might give better access to them if you prefer to remove them.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 95
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, much appreciated

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock