Pantera fiero by Headharvester
Started on: 07-01-2015 04:02 PM
Replies: 12 (780 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-03-2015 11:19 AM
Headharvester

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HeadharvesterSend a Private Message to HeadharvesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, im new to the forums and i was wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to buy a fiero and stretch it and widen it to pantera specs or to just buy a complete custom frame. The reason i ask is because im 23 years old and dont have 40-60k laying around to buy one of those cars, and when or even if i could buy one the price would be much higher. I already have a complete body i can use to make molds for a fiberglass or aluminum body out of. Also would want to throw in either a straight 5 or a straight 6 engine so i wouldnt have to worry about balancing and have good gas mileage, and have modern comforts like gps, and whatnot.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

By the time you have everything done good enough to be proud of it, you will have paid for a Pantera, and have a car with no resale value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-...9b&item=252008097179

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-01-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF!

The answer to your question depends entirely on what tools you have and what skills you have. Doing a stretch isn't that hard (just finished a 12" stretch on mine). But that is just a tiny part of the project you suggest. Are you really prepared for a project of that magnitude?

Here's a link to my project showing the steps for the stretch. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134807.html
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a guy from like Kentucy, or thereabouts (maybe Blackrams ?) that had a Pantera rebody on his Fiero around the early 90s.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why ruin a fiero to make it into a pantera? I have had discussions about kit cars and frankly, I think it ruins the car but others (a lot) disagree. I'd suggest you either buy a Pantera or buy a Fiero. Don't turn one into the other.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Why ruin a fiero to make it into a pantera? I have had discussions about kit cars and frankly, I think it ruins the car but others (a lot) disagree. I'd suggest you either buy a Pantera or buy a Fiero. Don't turn one into the other.

I won't try to hijack the thread to argue the point, but I think it is still in line with the original post about using a Fiero as the base for a kit car. I agree that a good condition GT should stay as a Fiero... I'm not as attached to notchies. The best thing about a Fiero as a base for a kit car is that it is often a great way to save a trashed Fiero. Most kits end up stripping the Fiero down to a very basic state and then adding custom braces, supports etc. Sometimes a Fiero may be too far gone to economically save it and restore it back to original, but since most of the car gets stripped off for the kit car, this usually isn't a concern. I think all Fieros beyond saving as a Fiero could (should) be given new life as a kit car. And they really are an awesome way to begin a kit car project!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am 24 myself and Ill tell you exactly what to do with that 40-60K you have laying around... Use it as a down payment on a house; one with a huge garage with enough space to work on your future Fiero!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

I am 24 myself and Ill tell you exactly what to do with that 40-60K you have laying around... Use it as a down payment on a house; one with a huge garage with enough space to work on your future Fiero!

I'm pretty sure he said that he doesn't have 40-60K....hence wanting to use the Fiero as a base....but by the time he is done, he will have definitely spent that amount.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm so - so on kit cars. In the case of the Pantera, it was not a very well developed car. If you want a Pantera, start with a Fiero.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Sometimes a Fiero may be too far gone to economically save it and restore it back to original, but since most of the car gets stripped off for the kit car, this usually isn't a concern. I think all Fieros beyond saving as a Fiero could (should) be given new life as a kit car. And they really are an awesome way to begin a kit car project!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a builder and previous owner of many kits, I WILL agree not to tear up a good car to do it. All the ones I did were running and driving cars, but far from excellent. The biggest good part of owning a kit over the real thing is the maintenance costs. While you may spend as much building a replica as buying a real one, try getting any exotic repaired. For example a brake job on a 308/328 costs around $5000. A good used engine is $25,000. Working on real ones, theres many other issues. I was on a waiting list for over a year thru the dealer waiting for an OEM horn button and front signal lens for a 308. Most any unrestored Panteras are rust factories. Your lucky to find one not ready to break in two, or have the engine fall out the bottom.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-03-2015).]

PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Panteras look sweet! Do what you like.

Someone here on the forum is slowly working on something related:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000081-18.html

One of his pics:

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2015 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Headharvester:

Hi, im new to the forums and i was wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to buy a fiero and stretch it and widen it to pantera specs or to just buy a complete custom frame. The reason i ask is because im 23 years old and dont have 40-60k laying around to buy one of those cars, and when or even if i could buy one the price would be much higher. I already have a complete body i can use to make molds for a fiberglass or aluminum body out of. Also would want to throw in either a straight 5 or a straight 6 engine so i wouldnt have to worry about balancing and have good gas mileage, and have modern comforts like gps, and whatnot.

The bigger question to add to the cost aspect is probably are you going to college, work long hours, gonna have kids? These things can cause a big project like this to stall indefinitley.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock