Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Rims and tires--what is going to look best and perform well on the track and the stre

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rims and tires--what is going to look best and perform well on the track and the stre by kgoodyear
Started on: 06-28-2015 07:11 PM
Replies: 8 (218 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 06-30-2015 02:48 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who would of thought buying the correct rims and rubber for my Fiero would be such a challenge?

I have the arrautomotorsports lowered front end and his bump steer rear end. The kind of rims I really want are the old school torque thrust rims

https://www.hotrodhotline.c...hrust-wheels-special

I think 6 inch in the front and 10 in the back. I would like a stiff wall, low profile, unidirectional tire. My problem is I just don't know a lot about rims and tires let alone what will look good on my 3800 sc 87 gt. Thanks for your help in advance.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you will get someone to do all the research it takes to get wheels on your car. If you have a specific question, you will get some answers, but it's not an easy process, and oversize wheels make it harder. The 5X100mm bolt pattern on a Fiero limits your options, and it gets worse from there.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some research on Tire Racks site and bought Continental Extreme Contact DW.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried finding "torque thrust" style wheels for my Fiero, didn't find anything decent. You can find plenty of nice torque thrust style wheels in RWD sizes, but slim to none for FWD sizes. And the Fiero uses FWD type wheels, so... yeah.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The drive wheels are actually a 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern--that found on the grand prix GTP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:
The drive wheels are actually a 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern--that found on the grand prix GTP

So you are saying you have converted to the Grand Prix 5×115 bolt pattern on your car?

Maybe post some pics of your car if you could.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-30-2015).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the splines going into the transmission and the wheel hub are from the GTP but could be from another GM product. Nevertheless, the lug pattern is 5 X 4.5. The front hubs and rear are the same. The suspension is from Arriat and includes the bump steer.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not so much styling, you can choose you r flavor of that but you must be trying to figure out what size and offset/backspacing wil fit wihtout hitting something? i assume you want the outer edge of the tire flush with the fender lip edge?

This will be hard to do over the net since it isnt stock suspension. Some people cut a cardboard or wood disk the outer diameter of the tire and mount and measure from it.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a great idea! Simple!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock