Started on: 06-28-2015 01:49 PM
Replies: 5 (501 views)
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 06-29-2015 12:04 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Though that I'd share the experience about our 2:45 hr ride home from Carlisle. Mid afternoon the skies opened up and rain came pouring down quite hard. I was very concerned about engine stalling. When I did my 3800 swap the coil pack was located right under the right engine vent grill. Despite heavy rains for a few hours, both being parked and driving, I was worried that the coil pack would saturate and the ignition would go out. Quite the opposite. The engine worked well all the way back to NJ. To my surprise the coil packs are highly water resistant.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because good coils are not the problem for flooded ignition. Plus Properly install DIS parts are more Water Resistant then HEI and older to start with.

Bigger issue is plug wires and boots shorting out secondary volts when wet.
This is why people will coat secondary terminals w/ a small amount of silicon grease. (Too much can cause problems.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did use silicone grease around the all the plug and coil boots so maybe that helped. There was no concern about the coils themselves but I was concerned about the ignition module below them. I believe that the grills provide some rain protection. At highway speed the force of upwards exhausting air may actually keep everything under it somewhat dry. Regardless, despite the downpour we made it home easily and the engine ran perfect. Just to be safe I am contemplating installing a plastic rain shield over the coil pack.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to applogize that I never made it. I saw the rain coming and with company in town I had to cancell my plans. Again, I hope for next year.

BTW, my coil packs are located in the same place. Never had a problem so far!! Knock on wood.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I have to applogize that I never made it. I saw the rain coming and with company in town I had to cancell my plans. Again, I hope for next year.

BTW, my coil packs are located in the same place. Never had a problem so far!! Knock on wood.

Sorry that you couldn't make the show but I fully understand the decision. As for the location of the coil pack, that thing must be very water resistant as I drove local, highway and parked for hours on Saturday. It was in the rain all day and didn't quit.
I am certain that Fiero's at Carlisle 2016 will be bigger and better than ever

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How was it?

Did you see my post on the 3.5 pulley? I just ordered some AR104's.

This is what happens after your visit the drag track!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock