Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Who's the best 4 speed manual tranny guy to talk with?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who's the best 4 speed manual tranny guy to talk with? by MadProfessor8138
Started on: 06-27-2015 08:48 PM
Replies: 8 (183 views)
Last post by: MadProfessor8138 on 06-28-2015 12:08 PM
MadProfessor8138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a clutch/transmission issue and think I've found the problem but I need a second opinion from someone that knows more than I do.
Anyone care to help out?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much do you know?

I could recommend someone, but they might know less than you do.....or just think they know more, and really don't. Most of us just post the problem, and take our chances that anyone who responds knows what they are talking about. It works pretty well, with a few exceptions.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well then,let's try this approach......
85 6 cylinder with 4 speed manual.

Symptom exhibited : even with the engine running I could shift through all of the gears without using the clutch and the transmission would not grind or move the car under its own power....it was just like shifting through the years with the engine off.
Because of this,I figured there was a disconnect between the engine and transmission somewhere because power was not being transferred.
I checked the shifter and the cables and both appeared to be fine,as the levers moved with the shifter.
I decided to pull the transmission thinking it was either a clutch or internal issue with the transmission.
Here is what I found and think to be the problem........the shaft that runs through the bell housing and has the fork to move the throw out bearing on the shaft is so tight that I had to use a hammer to tap on the lever that gets pushed by the slave cylinder to get it to move.
So my opinion is that the engine was disconnected from the transmission due to this.....the clutch was essentially being depressed and was not letting power to be transferred from the engine to the transmission...so basically the clutch was pushed in.
Does this sound like a reasonable solution?
How do I deal with the shaft issue?....I put pb blaster on the shaft and it has loosened considerably but not like it should.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you figured it out, a hung throwout bearing.
It may be the bearing on the input shaft housing or the shaft that the throwout fork is attached to.
Get the TO bearing off of the input shaft housing and check the pivot motion of the throwout fork shaft. Be sure to check for wear, galling, corrosion, etc. on the shaft housing, pivot shaft and pressure plate fingers. Get everything freed up.

Put in a new T/O bearing.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-27-2015).]

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know for a fact that it's not the throw out bearing itself that's binding..it moves just fine on the transmission shaft.
The binding is in the throw out bearing fork shaft....I had to use a hammer and pb blaster to free it up.
Is there a bushing or bearing in the transmission case for the ends of this shaft?
Any suggestions on how to get it functioning properly?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clutch forks can bend. The best solution may be to replace it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the T/O fork shaft display significant amounts of corrosion where it enters the trans case and where it seats?
Pictures would help.
MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually,the transmission is very clean with no signs of corrosion.
One thing that I did notice is that the previous owner had replaced the clutch recently....unfortunately,whoever did the job didn't torque the bolts properly.....I loosened all of the bolts on the clutch with one hand using a 3/8 drive ratchet.
The throw out bearing fork is not bent and looks perfect....the ends are just binding in the transmission bell housing while trying to swivel.

Unfortunately,I use my iPhone exclusively and I can't post pics with it......

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock