Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What do most use to silence the noise in this area.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What do most use to silence the noise in this area. by solotwo
Started on: 06-27-2015 03:34 PM
Replies: 12 (352 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 06-30-2015 10:41 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never noticed how much noise comes through this area around the connectors.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's insulation on the other side of the bulkhead plus the ECM is surrounded by the rear console compartment with plenty of insulation in there. I've never noticed any objectionable sounds. Maybe someone with a better set of ears than mine will chime in later.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The noise will probably go away once you put the storage bin back in place.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks. I am going to try a little foam.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the ECM to see if the transmission cable grommets are still in place. Lots of heat and noise can enter if they aren't securely installed.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Careful on the foam, the ecm needs some airflow around it for cooling.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wires are sealed by "re-entry encapsulation/potting" compound that removable by hot water I think.

Closest thing available and cheap to that for public is maybe Latex Interior caulk.
should not permanent glue the plastic in case you need to remove it later.

also See my Cave, ECM Heat
Entire case must have plenty of air because ECM/PCMs will die w/o enough air to dump heat.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Wires are sealed by "re-entry encapsulation/potting" compound that removable by hot water I think.

Closest thing available and cheap to that for public is maybe Latex Interior caulk.
should not permanent glue the plastic in case you need to remove it later.

also See my Cave, ECM Heat
Entire case must have plenty of air because ECM/PCMs will die w/o enough air to dump heat.

Thanks for the information. I am not removing them. I just noticed with console off to address a different situation that it was very noisy and you can see daylight when looking out into the engine compartment. So I was looking for ideas to "seal" the area up from engine noises.
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion the noise is good. When you want it quiet have the console on but if you are listening for a problem, you can more easily hear it with it off. Used that to my advantage a few times
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust on this car is loud to the point of unbearable. Thats next after i get the trans issue figured out.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Thanks for the information. I am not removing them. I just noticed with console off to address a different situation that it was very noisy and you can see daylight when looking out into the engine compartment. So I was looking for ideas to "seal" the area up from engine noises.

There really shouldn't be any openings into the engine bay. Pressure from air flowing up into the engine bay can bring exhaust gases into the passenger compartment. I discovered this when work was done on one of my Fieros and the transmission cable grommets weren't properly reinstalled.
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Where exactly do you see light from the engine compartment? Through the wire bundles? If so, you'll definitely want to seal the wire bundles using a latex caulking as mentioned by Ogre.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used chalk I think it is silicone. Any the plug that was redone for the swap had the "holes".

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock