Why is my Duke always 'cold'? by kevin
Started on: 06-27-2015 07:54 AM
Replies: 9 (242 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 06-30-2015 08:10 AM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I just drove 1,404 miles. My 100% stock Duke ran great😃!!! I get good gas mileage. My question is my temperature gauge. The needle never moves off the cold setting (the first white hash mark all the way to the left). I know the needle works because as I start the car, the needle jumps all the way to the right before resting, and remaining, on cold. What's going on?
Cordially,
kevin

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock gauge doesn't mean anything without it being checked, they can be wildly inaccurate. Hook a scantool up and check your actual temp

The needle isn't supposed to peg btw

http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 'temp gauge repair' should be done, and then you would have a temp light at startup, with no movement on your gauge.
The sensor probably needs replacement, but it could be that one wire is not connected properly.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I just purchased all new engine sensors before departing. Yeah, I suppose one of those new sensors is defective. Is it your guess to check the thermostat sensor? All my wires are tight and secure. The needle DOES move, but only ever so slightly off the white on the left. Can I simply replace the temperature gauge itself? Or do I have to replace the whole gauge cluster?
Cordially,
kevin
Ps. Are there any Pennock Fiero members in N. Dakota?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The questionable part is your new sensor that operates the gauge...as shown in the Fierosails page. You can test it with an ohm meter, or you can return it for another one.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks👍
Where can I find Fierosails? I already did a search within Pennocks sight.
Cordially,
kevin
Ps Are there any Firto members in The Dakotas?

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 06-27-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
click on the orange link posted above.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And you are sure there is a thermostat in place and working correctly?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

And you are sure there is a thermostat in place and working correctly?

I was going to ask the same question.

I had a car once where the thermostat was stuck open. The gauge hardly moved, I had no heat in the winter, and the transmission wouldn't even go into TCC lockup unless I was doing a lot of stop-and-go driving and got the car good and warm. Looking back with hindsight, I wonder if it was even going into Closed Loop.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
I was going to ask the same question.

I had a car once where the thermostat was stuck open. The gauge hardly moved, I had no heat in the winter, and the transmission wouldn't even go into TCC lockup unless I was doing a lot of stop-and-go driving and got the car good and warm. Looking back with hindsight, I wonder if it was even going into Closed Loop.

I wonder what the real temp is of the engine, has the OP checked the cars temp with another type of thermostat, candy thermometer is Old School and if you set it on top of the engine will give you a more accurate reading of its temp. or if you like high tech tools get a digital laser thermometer just point and read, this one works well anywhere on the engine and will give you a quick reading.

I second the open thermostat as well, with the engine cold pull the stat and look threw it to see if it is stuck open, also use the candy thermometer in a pot on the stove so that you can watch the opening the coolant runs threw, it can also open to soon, say around 120 and that would also cause this problem.

My first armchair guess would be a defective stat if this was an problem before you replaced the sensors. If not it maybe one of the sensors or even a wire that might have melted. But using my age old method of finding a problem I try to test everything before replacing anything. also try the easiest first, in other words in this case, just get a new stat and replace it and see what happens, if your is new it can be defective as well, if it is not it could also be defective from years of use.

Edit to add

how is the heat in the car? Does it bake you out of the car or just seem luke warm? if it is hot then I would say it is the sensor.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-30-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock