wiggle in the steering by sledcaddie
Started on: 06-26-2015 09:43 PM
Replies: 10 (192 views)
Last post by: sledcaddie on 07-01-2015 11:05 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 GT, 5 speed, 59,000 miles. At highway speeds, the steering has a LITTLE free play (more than my 85 with 110,000 miles). It just feels a little squirelly, like it's right on the "edge" of losing it. Too touchy. Just enough to bother me. I removed the spare and plastic tub. I've checked front suspension and steering rack. Had wife turn wheel back and forth while I looked underneath. Thought it might be inner tie rods, but they are quite firm. Made sure connection was tight between column and steering rack. Can there be too much play between rack and pinion? Is that adjustable? Any ideas, input, or experiences would be helpful
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't feel the steering play at low speeds, I'd say your problem is an alignment. The wrong toe-in can do that.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also check your front bearings. May be time to repack.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the front bearings on 88's were not serviceable?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sledcaddie:

I thought the front bearings on 88's were not serviceable?

Yup
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can there be "slop" between steering gear and rack? Is there a way to adjust this?
Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can there be "slop" between steering gear and rack? Is there a way to adjust this?

You may be able to reset the preload on the pinion - I have an 86, so this may be different on the 88..

On top of the rack, where the input shaft connects, there is a lock ring and hex head, loosen the lock ring and turn the hex head clockwise until it stops - don't force it too hard. Turn back 60 degrees (i.e. 1 face on the hex head) and retighten the lock ring.

Rodney sells a tool for moving the lock ring, though I've had success with a big pair of mole (vise?) grips.

Apologies if this isn't the same for the 88, I'm sure someone will chime in if not!

Edit: Changed 'tighten' to 'turn clockwise'

[This message has been edited by Gandalf (edited 07-01-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes there can be, but you should feel that when the car is parked. 59K miles is very low for anything like that to happen.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
Yes there can be, but you should feel that when the car is parked. 59K miles is very low for anything like that to happen.

Yup,,, is low miles for normal rack wear problems.

Isolate the play...
See my Cave, Steering

alignment issues could be toe... Could be other things. Lowered cars often have alignment issues even when alignment is done to OE spec.

If car has rust... Very carefully look at all bushing. Outer shell can rust out.
No rust could have bushing problems. Stick trans and rubber cradle bushing can cause rear steer.
See my Cave, Bushings

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Ogre. Your article about the a-arm bushings makes sense. The rubber IS almost 30 years old. When I replaced them on my 85, I could not believe how smooth the steering is now. I will check these out.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock