4.9 won't start by Meanspiritdave
Started on: 06-26-2015 11:14 AM
Replies: 12 (220 views)
Last post by: Meanspiritdave on 07-07-2015 05:01 PM
Meanspiritdave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MeanspiritdaveClick Here to Email MeanspiritdaveSend a Private Message to MeanspiritdaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The swap has been going well and the 4.9 has been firing up every single time until yesterday. I had been remounting the overflow tank due to a broken tab. I started it up, backed it out of the garage and was going to let it get hot and make sure the cooling system was working properly. And after about 5 minutes, it just died. No warning, it just died, and it will not start again. Thoughts? FYI, its an '86 GT with a '92 4.9, new fuel pump, fuel lines, and fuel filter. Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put some fuel in it...........
Meanspiritdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeanspiritdaveClick Here to Email MeanspiritdaveSend a Private Message to MeanspiritdaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I forgot to mention the tank is full. sorry
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start by narrowing it down. Check if your fuel pump is running when you turn the key, then check you are getting fuel pressure (you'll need an inline fuel pressure gauge...they are cheap). If you are then you can move over to the electrical side and start there. (I'll wait until you know if it is fuel or electrical before next diagnostic steps)

EDIT: Don't assume something works just because it was changed. And...don't start throwing money at it by changing every part. You'll just introduce more problems.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 06-26-2015).]

Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedClick Here to Email SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you do a passkey bypass circuit or was it programmed out? I'd start there. Check for injector pulse, fuel pressure, spark and report back
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereClick Here to Email FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have the ignition control module tested. Most auto parts stores will do it for free. These controls modules aren't as likely to fail as a fiero one but it still does happen. Its one of the more likely problems for a 4.9 that suddenly stops running and it doesn't cost anything to find out for sure.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long shot, but I had the button between the coil and the rotor fail. Moved the car, went to move it a few minutes later, just cranked.
Meanspiritdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeanspiritdaveClick Here to Email MeanspiritdaveSend a Private Message to MeanspiritdaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone! I apologize for taking so long to reply. Had another incredibly busy weekend. But THANK YOU for the ideas. I'll start checking things either tonight or tomorrow and will report back . Thanks again! This forum rocks!
Meanspiritdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MeanspiritdaveClick Here to Email MeanspiritdaveSend a Private Message to MeanspiritdaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally had a chance to take a look at the car. Everything looks right, nothing out of place, everything connected, fuses are all good. When I place a few drops of gas into the throttle body it will start, but die after a few seconds. Can I assume it's the pump? When I listen to hear the pump prime as I turn the key, I don't think I hear it, but I'm not 100% sure.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good chance the pump isn't running. However, could be the pump, blocked fuel filter, failure of the hose in the tank (common if it has sat for any length of time), fuel pump relay failure, or an ECM problem. There is also a chance that it is still electrical, and the injectors aren't firing. I don't have the wiring diagram handy, so hopefully someone else can jump in, but I'd start by hooking directly to the pump through the connector located near the passenger side lid hinge. I can't remember which wire is which, but one is ground, one is the +12V to the pump, and the last one is the fuel level sensor. If the car runs after that, then it is likely a relay problem (though less likely, it could be a faulty ECM). If it won't start, you should hook up a fuel pressure gauge and confirm your pump is working properly.

Just keep narrowing in on the fault.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd make sure the pump was getting power before doing the pita job of dropping the tank.

All kinds of things can cause the fuel not to be delivered to the engine.

Does your check engine light come on key on engine off?
Does the fuel pump sound like it is running?
Remove the fuel pump relay and jumper the Orange or Orange/Black wire to the Tan/White or Tan wire. Does the fuel pump now run? If so it's not the fuel pump that is the problem.
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageClick Here to Email Mickey_MooseSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have pressure on the fuel rail? Simplest check if the pump is working (if you are not sure if you hear it or not).

Meanspiritdave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeanspiritdaveClick Here to Email MeanspiritdaveSend a Private Message to MeanspiritdaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More great ideas! I may have some time tonight. Will keep you posted. Thanks again everyone!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock