Flywheel for 3800 swap and 4speed trans by DevastatioN
Started on: 06-26-2015 05:48 AM
Replies: 8 (1236 views)
Last post by: longjonsilver on 12-06-2020 11:18 AM
DevastatioN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DevastatioNSend a Private Message to DevastatioNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys.
I'm looking for a flywheel, for my engine 3800 serie1, 8 screws flywheel.

Like this.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/1404...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or

http://www.ebay.es/itm/3713...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I found a few on ebay, but I do not know if they are compatible. Can anybody help me?

This clutch serves me for the new flywheel and 4speed manual transmission?
http://www.ebay.es/itm/2013...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Buy many pieces on ebay, because sent to Spain , the large pieces have a friend who travels to NY a few months and bring me free parts , shipping is very expensive for heavy parts ..

Greetings from Spain , starting my 86 notch 3800 Series 1 SC Fiero swap (Starting with a Pontiac trans sport 3800 NA L27 engine to 3800 SC L32 engine).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a shot at answering, and then hope others with more knowledge will correct any mistakes I make. For the 3800 series I ( at least for the SC version) the Flywheel has to be balanced to match the Flex Plate in your donor car. In addition, the flywheel has to be machined down to .840 inches thick. You cannot buy a stock flywheel and install. FieroRog here on this site make them for about $250, plus shipping. He also advertises them occasionally on Ebay. West Cost Fieros also advertises them, but I would stick with FieroRog. A stock clutch is not recommended either. Spec 3+ clutch seems to be the recommended clutch, about $300. I am in the process of a Series 1 swap now, and decided to use the donor car Auto Trans rather than go through the hassle and expense of the Manual swap. I enjoy the manual, but it is reported that eventually the trans just doesn't have the strength to stand up to the HP of the 3800. Some programming changes will also be required in the Donor ECM to run manual, but I don't have any specifics on that.
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes u cant use the the stock 3800 flex plate if ur running a 4 speed trans . U need a milled down camaro flywheel to .840 . U only use the flex plate to match balance the new millled flywheel. Thats if u find and have one milled yourself. Or buy one from fierorog already to go. Next u cant use a stock clutch it wont hold the power. I have a spec stage 3+ clutch set and they like $415 plus you need the right throw out bearing for the 4 speed trans to go with it. And yes u can use the 4 speed trans and its strong engough.aslong its not one from a 4 cylinder fiero. Its better from a v6 fiero. This is my setup in my 84 fiero with 03 gtp engine. And many many others run this set up also.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800 vin C LN3 and earlier 3.8L engines had 6-bolt crank mounting flanges for the flexplate. I have no idea what flywheel someone would have to use with one of these engines if they wanted to use one of these engines with a manual transmission.

3800 Series 1 vin L L27 and SC vin 1 L67 engines have an 8 bolt crank mounting flange for the flexplate. These engines are externally balanced, so the proper amount of counter-balance weight must be present on the flexplate or flywheel for the engine to run without creating damaging vibrations.

3800 Series 2 and 3 engines are also externally balanced and have the same 8 bolt crank mounting flange for the flexplate. The N/A versions of these engines require a different amount of external counter-balance weight than the SC versions of these engines do. I don't know if any of these are the same as what a Series 1 3800 engine requires.

If you are doing a Fiero swap using a 3800 Series 2 or 3 engine and using a Fiero manual transmission, you need a flywheel from a 96-02 Camaro/Firebird 3800 5-speed application. You then need to have that flywheel machined down to 0.810-0.840" overall thickness. If you are using an N/A 3800 Series 2 or 3 engine, no further balancing to the flywheel may be required. But if you are using the SC version of one of these engines, you need to get the machined down flywheel balance matched to the spec of a stock flexplate you pulled off the SC engine.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-26-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not completely sure about the clutch you have linked to above, since I don't speak Spanish. But, it looks like a 6 puck, stage 3 XTD clutch (not a stock Fiero clutch, as implied by a couple of replies above). This clutch will work (I use a very similar one with my 4.9), but be aware that many people claim to have issues with these clutches coming apart after 3,000-4,000 miles. Others run them for years with no issues. If you can afford the Spec 3+, then you should go that route. If you do get the 6 puck clutch, be careful to break it in properly, and be prepared for a lot of chatter while it breaks in. I really like mine now (Krupp 6 puck, stage 3). 300 ft-lbs and absolutely no slip.

Edit: I should note that I am only talking about the XTD brand...you will need to make sure the clutch matches your application (i.e. transmission). I didn't look if it did or not.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 06-26-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get this flywheel https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067149.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

DevastatioN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DevastatioNSend a Private Message to DevastatioNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello!

Thanks very much everyone for the answers.
At the end I decided on this flywheel : LINK

Anyway , I need to balance the whole because I'm turning a L27 to L36. All parts , forged pistons and connecting rods, crankshaft , flywheel , harmonic balancer ... everything will be balanced

Hi Neils88, what another clutch stage3 recommend me?.

Thanks very much.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bully Clutch Stage 3 https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129057.html

One of our members just installed a Bully Clutch Stage 3 this spring - he is very happy now.
Light effort, heavy clamping with NO chatter at all.

He ignored my advice LAST year when he did his 3800 S/C swap and regretted it.
He installed some "performance" ceramic puck clutch that made the car undriveable!!
Strictly ON/OFF operation with heavy chatter that never got better.
He only ran 4 tanks of gas through before parking it for the winter and changed the clutch in the spring.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-06-2020).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2020 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have been told that there is only one way to bolt up the flywheel/flexplate to the crank. There is a slotted hole to mark one side. Does anybody know if there REALLY is only one way to bolt up the flywheel, or are there 8 different ways?
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock