Aftermarket gauges by imacflier
Started on: 06-24-2015 01:47 PM
Replies: 1 (163 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 06-25-2015 01:26 AM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, Guys,

Well, I have just plain had it with my fuel gauge. Yes, I know it is the sender, but I intend to make a radical change.....and even spend less money.

The Fiero Fuel Level Sender is a GM standard resistive 0-90 ohm sender, with empty at 0 ohms.

I intend to replace my sender with a capacitive fuel tube...they only run about $31. No moving parts! Standard mounting ring. Can be trimmed to length. Adjustable empty and full scale output. Operate on 12-18v. Sounds perfect...accuracy and reliability all in one!

BUT: they output 0 to 5 volts. Not so good for a meter expecting 0 - 12v.

So, I have a couple choices: First, I could design and build a conversion circuit, probably no more than a non-inverting op amp amplifier. There seems to be NOTHING available commercially for this purpose....including from Dakota Digital. Second, I could replace the Fiero Fuel gauge with a gauge that is designed for 0-5v input. Being lazy and risk averse, I would rather do the second....which leads to my question: Is the Fiero Fuel Level gauge replaceable or is it only replaceable as a Fuel Level/Water Temp combination? And, If it IS replaceable, is it a standard 52mm/2 inch gauge?

Please let me know, I have never pulled the instrument panel to look.

TIA,
Larry

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Totally unrelated, if you have the knowledge & skill to design a circuit that turn voltage into a resistance value, I would love to talk to you about that. I have an application where a pressure sensor that provides a resistance value has been NLA for decades, and the only modern replacements output voltage. If there is a reasonably simple reliable way to convert the output from, say, a MAP sensor into a 0-300ohm value (10ohm per psi) that would be totally amazing.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock