Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
   Anyone Driving Kelly Charger GT Tires on your V6 Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone Driving Kelly Charger GT Tires on your V6 Fiero? by gtjeff
Started on: 06-23-2015 10:45 PM
Replies: 9 (236 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-24-2015 09:03 PM
gtjeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone put these tires on their v6 Fiero? What is your opinion of them? I like using Goodyear tires on my Fiero, but this is the closest I can get since Goodyear Eagle GT II are discontinued.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run these on my 3.4. They are fine. Not great but fine for everyday driving.
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rode em on my 87 gt for a long time, they wore great even with no rotate because of staggered fitment. Recommend potenza pole positions if still available, better than the chargers as far as grip and wore fantastic as well, 4 years of daily on both sets. Kelly does have the edge tire now that i think replaces the charger, it looks very nice and about the same wear ratings.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You get bargains here on them since they make them about 50 miles from here. There a good low budget tire, bought quite a few over the years. I consider them better than Goodyear because every Goodyear Eagle tire I bought, or came on a new car were lucky to get 15,000 before they wore completely out. I usually get 100,000 on other brands. I think its because the rubber is too soft, they may grip good, but the rubber rolls off it.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You get bargains here on them since they make them about 50 miles from here. There a good low budget tire, bought quite a few over the years. I consider them better than Goodyear because every Goodyear Eagle tire I bought, or came on a new car were lucky to get 15,000 before they wore completely out. I usually get 100,000 on other brands. I think its because the rubber is too soft, they may grip good, but the rubber rolls off it.

Goodyear eagles are performance tires, soft compound, made to stick, not long life

I have Kelly's on my rims I have not mounted on car yet.. so I can't comment but I'll bet they are better than the komo's on the 14" rims now..
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rode em on my 87 gt for a long time, they wore great even with no rotate because of staggered fitment. Recommend potenza pole positions if still available, better than the chargers as far as grip and wore fantastic as well, 4 years of daily on both sets. Kelly does have the edge tire now that i think replaces the charger, it looks very nice and about the same wear ratings.
My88RedGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Kelly Charger GT on my 88 GT for the last two years.... They've been great here on the AZ highways... Way quieter than the yokohama's I have on my other car. I'm planning on buying these tires again providing they still make them when the time comes.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Goodyear eagles are performance tires, soft compound, made to stick, not long life

Yup....

Treadwear, Traction and Temperature

The US Government has established the UTQG, the Uniform Tire Quality Grading, to assist consumers in their purchase of tires. Basically it's another tool to be used besides the opinions you gather from trusted friends, mechanics and whatever other sources you may have at your disposal. The key to using this system is to understand that it is a relative comparison system. The UTQG is not a safety rating and not a guarantee that a tire will last for a prescribed number of miles. Under UTQG, manufacturers use three criteria to grade tires: treadwear, traction and temperature. The information is right where you need it when buying the tire:

On the paper label affixed to the tread
On the tire molded into the sidewall

The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example the useful tread on a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200. However, another tire manufacturer may grade a comparable design 300, so a grade of 150 would last just half as long under their grading scheme. The lesson learned is to not use one manufacturer's grade versus the other, but instead to compare tire grades within a given brand. Actual treadwear performance can vary tremendously according to the tire's real-world use. Variations in driving habits, service practices (most importantly air pressure maintenance), road conditions and climate affect tire life.

Traction grades represent the tire's ability to stop on wet pavement as measured under controlled conditions on asphalt and concrete test surfaces. As of 1997, the traction grades from highest to lowest are "AA","A","B" and "C". A tire graded "AA" may have relatively better traction performance than a tire graded lower, based on straight-ahead braking tests. The grades do not take into consideration the cornering or turning performance of a tire.

Temperature grades represent a tire's resistance to heat and its ability to dissipate heat when tested under controlled laboratory test conditions. The grades from highest to lowest are "A","B" and "C". The grade "C" corresponds to the minimum performance required by federal safety standard. Therefore, the "A" tire is the coolest running, and even though the "C" tire runs hotter it does not mean it is unsafe. The temperature grade is established for a tire that is properly inflated and not overloaded.

gtjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info everyone.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont even get me started on Kumo's.....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock