Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Reverse / Backup lights stay on all the time???

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Reverse / Backup lights stay on all the time??? by Scooter_86gt
Started on: 06-23-2015 12:50 AM
Replies: 15 (650 views)
Last post by: Scooter_86gt on 06-26-2015 04:17 PM
Scooter_86gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86gt that originally had a muncie 4 speed. The reverse light switch on the shifter worked then. I had the 4 speed swapped out for an Isuzu 5 speed. Lights did not work after swap not sure when it started but the lights stay on all the time.

I have removed the bulbs and been driving car with no reverse lights for a while and decided to start problem solving this. Not much on any forum for lights staying on in this situation.

I have run independent wires (separate from the harness) from the reverse switch on the tranny over to the c500....Blue to C1 and Lt Green to E1.

Reverse lights stay on all the time

I unplug switch reverse lights stay on

I unplug c500 engine connection reverse lights stay on

I unplug light harness side of c500 reverse lights go out.

Ground is good under passenger side wheel well

I could not find a short in the visible harness up to the c500.

It seems like the reverse lights are getting power with key on all the time?

Could it be on the fuse box side of things?

I removed center console and did not see any old connector for the old shiter reverse switch? If those wires were cut and removed would that cause this?

I am going to test the new switch tomorrow to see if I fried it some how but that would not account for the reverse lights staying on all the time.

Thank you to anyone for any help with this. I have tried all I know to do.

[This message has been edited by Scooter_86gt (edited 06-26-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

There is an extra reverse light connector in your wiring harness close to the transmission. Unplug the switch at the shifter and plug the extra connector into your Isuzu switch pigtail. The 4 speeds used the shifter switch, but the 5 speeds had a switch in the tranny. In late 86, the V6 cars got the Getrag, so the harnesses had the extra connector added. Apparently, the 5 speeds arrived late in the model year, so the early 86 models got the 4 speed with the shifter switch.

Hope this helps ya!

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 06-23-2015).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have the 4-speed reverse switch plugged in? If so, remove it.
Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you guys!

Sorry I should have been more clear.

The old 4 speed shifter is gone as well as the old switch at the shifter. Also I can cannot find any wires or connector in the center console for the old 4 speed shifter mounted reverse switch....not sure if that might be a problem. Somehow the reverse lights are getting power but not a signal to not be on.

I have run the two independent wires from the 5speed isuzu tranny (bypassing the harness) over to the c500.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the shop remove the plug and connect the wires together? Look for a blue wire and green wire that are connected, somewhere in the center console.
Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I followed info and instructions from other posts related to the isuzu 5 speed by bloozberry....//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123984.html. I also used info from postings by phonedawgz...//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/133454.html as well as a few others.

It seems my symptoms are unusual. The engine harness seems to have no effect other than not making the reverse lights go off. My confusion is what is making the reverse lights stay on? Maybe a bad socket?
Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Scooter_86gt

40 posts
Member since Sep 2012
That was my thought.

I looked yesterday but could not find any free wires. I will look again today.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The normal state for the reverse lights is to be off. They need an "on" signal to turn on. Normally, the reverse switch provides that "on" signal. If your reverse lights are constantly on, then something is completing that circuit.

Did you do the swap, or did a shop do it? You said plug for the 4-speed reverse switch is gone? Sounds like someone decided to delete the 4-speed reverse switch wiring and spliced the 2 wires together. If the shop did that, you should take the car back and tell them to fix their screw-up.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the switch in the console to make sure that switch is not defective, test it with a trouble light, unplug it there and see if that makes a difference .

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found the problem causing the lights to stay on!!

olejoedad and you guys were correct that the two wires from the old switch in the console were making contact. They had been taped up and tucked away separately but in the same tape wrap and eventually move around enough and made contact. I separated them and now the reverse lights are off. I will clean that up and tuck them back away.

Also now the reverse lights do not work....LOL.

I have read extensively on the forums about the reverse lights not working so I think I have lots to go on to problem solve that. I am going to test the switch first to make sure it is good then work my way thru the rest of the info.

Luckily I also discovered the purple neutral safety wire in the c500 was broken off. Still making contact but after enough moving it fell out. Gonna have to fix that as when it comes out car wont start.

I love my fiero like I love red heads. They are that great crazy kinda fun but they can make you equally crazy happy and crazy mad....but O so worth both!

Thank you guys for your time, experience and help!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just run new wires and be done with it. You need to have a power wire going to the reverse switch. Cut the wires off of the brake light bulb sockets except for the grounds. Then another run from the other side of the switch all the way back to one of the backup light power wires where you cut them, and splice it in. Then you just need to add a jumper wire to the other backup light power from there. Make sure both have grounds.
PFF
System Bot
Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought of that as well.

I am also thinking, since I found the original wires in the console and know they work when connected, of rigging up a one off reverse switch at the shifter.

I am gonna think on both then decide if I can't get the tranny mounted switch to work.

Thanks!!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When someone else has already hacked into wiring, I just prefer to ignore what they did and start over fresh. The stereo in my motorhome always has been iffy...sometimes works great, other times not at all. I finally got the time and interest the other day to cut out all their wiring and rewire it myself since I had the wiring diagram right on the unit. Now it works great ALL the time.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have power to one of the wires at the plug for the transmission mounted switch?
Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,

I agree about a fresh start with adulterated wiring and the previous owner of my gt did some questionable wiring. I have been slowly rectifying that....as I learn and grow in confidence.

I do have power from the c500 thru the green and blue wire to the pigtail plugin when I close the circuit so I know all is correct from the car side to the plug. I actually think I have solved the problem of the no rev lights now.

It just hit me that my reverse light switch in the tranny does not look like any of the others I have seen online while researching this? It looks similar to the vss style switch not the extended wires with a connector at the end to plug into as all the other images show of a fiero 5 speed reverse lights tranny switch. I think way back when I got the replacement switch I got it at an auto parts store at what I remember being a cheap price. I am pretty sure it is the wrong switch which is strange as it fits and the connectors plug together?

I ordered a correct fiero store switch so we will see if that remedies the issue. If not, then new wiring time.
Scooter_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scooter_86gtSend a Private Message to Scooter_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: (6-26-15)

Got the new backup light switch from the Fiero store and the pig tail connector (car side) didn't match up....as I suspected it might not. I deconstructed the old connector (car side), removed the pins and did a bit of dremeling to the housing to remove some material so it would fit the new tranny backup switch connector.

To make the new pins for the modified (car side) connector, I took apart the female end of a bullet connector and carefully crimped down the insert end so they would snuggly fit into the new backup switch connector (it has two small odd size bullet style prongs sticking up) then added the weather proofing rubber attachments from the old connector crimped in the wiring to the pins added a fair amount of dialectical grease to block out any water that might ever try to get in and connected it up. It looks pretty much factory. I wrapped it in electrical tape as a "just to be safe" measure.

Backup lights work perfectly now!

So in summation for anyone that wonders upon the same issue of no back up lights, then backup lights that stay on all the time after a 4 speed to 5 speed transmission swap here is what I learned:

The wires from the old shifter need to be terminated in the console so they do not touch or ground closing the circuit or your reverse lights will stay on all the time.

Find the Green E1 and the Blue C1 wires in the c500......they run thru the harness that comes around by the alternator and out toward the driver side of the car. If they are not there or there is not a plug connector to splice into or connect to you can do what I did.

I ran two fresh and independent of the harness wires (a green and blue). I spliced / tapped into the blue C1 and light green E1 wires at the c500 where I could see them as they came out of the harness at the c500. I used heat shrink tubing over the splice / tap in and electrical tape to seal them and ran them thru a sheath for heat protection and weather sealing. Please note it is most advisable to solder at the splice....I did not because I do not have a soldering tool, but I took extensive measures to ensure my connection is solid and will not easily come lose.

Thank you again to all who posted helping me and to all who have posted regarding the backup lights in any manner in the past as I read all the past posts many times and all of it collectively helped me fix my back up lights issue. I am gonna drive in reverse as much as possible just so I can enjoy my handy work!![/font]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock