Oil leak by PatrickTRoof
Started on: 06-22-2015 03:20 PM
Replies: 9 (625 views)
Last post by: PatrickTRoof on 06-27-2015 02:17 PM
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 1985 2.8 I had a pretty bad oil leak, which I traced to the forward valve cover gasket. I took it apart and sure enough, the gasket was split all to hell. I replaced it with a good spare, and the leak slowed down but did not stop. I'm wondering if I over tightened the valve cover bolts. I know I didn't under tighten them. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only you'll know if you indeed over-tightened the bolts ... but perhaps mention the type of gasket used, and whether or not you used any sealer.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-22-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its pretty critical to not over or under tighten valve cover gaskets. Some people I know only put them on with a screwdriver handle so they cant overdo it. It also makes some difference if you used cork or rubber gaskets, and if you used sealant with it. I put the valve covers on my SuperBee with ONLY sealant on clean covers and heads. No leaks.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:

On my 1985 2.8 I had a pretty bad oil leak, which I traced to the forward valve cover gasket. I took it apart and sure enough, the gasket was split all to hell. I replaced it with a good spare, and the leak slowed down but did not stop. I'm wondering if I over tightened the valve cover bolts. I know I didn't under tighten them. Any ideas?

If a gasket wont do it,
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is the blue rubber gaskets. I guess I'll be taking the intake off again sometime soon and gooping it up.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steam clean the engine and subframe. Go back and re-check. That small leak may be the residual dripping out of wherever it puddled. Other than the valve covers, the next most common leak is the distributor O-ring. If I recall, the Felpro blue silicone gaskets have a sleeve that won't let you over tighten.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fel-Pro says your not suppose to be able to over tighten their valve cover and oil pan gaskets due to the inserts they have located at the bolt holes of the gaskets. Not sure that's reality though.

As mentioned above "black"RTV works great. You might try pulling the leaky gasket, dry it off, and replace with some black RTV smeared on both sides of the gasket, reinstall. Be sure to clean the head and valve cover as well. Use brake cleaner, mineral spirits or the like to clean.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

If I recall, the Felpro blue silicone gaskets have a sleeve that won't let you over tighten.

Yup. It is hard to screw up installing the 2.8 valve cover. There could be many reasons for an oil leak. I would check to make sure the bolts are tight (no need to overtighten, as it won't help).

If that is good, and the oil is still coming from that area, it is time to pull the valve cover and see what someone did. They may have used the wrong gasket, or the gasket is bad. Usually you can reuse the gasket as it is a molded silicone type, NOT cork (Do NOT use cork on the 2.8).

I would look at both mating surfaces and if they are good, buy new gaskets. You also need to put a dab of RTV where the intake and head meet.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 06-24-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
front? check oil sender and pluming/tube, oil filter, when engine is running.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I'll try these things and keep you posted.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock