Ignition coil and pick up coil testing questions by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 06-21-2015 04:27 PM
Replies: 2 (709 views)
Last post by: Rsvl-Rider on 06-21-2015 05:42 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had some minor stuttering issues with the 86 GT. I had similar, but more severe, issues with my 88 GT sometime back that went from minor to major and was eventually solved with replacement of the ICM. Now I'm trying to troubleshoot the 86 to confirm the problem before installing a new ICM.

So, I performed the ohmmeter checks on the illustration below. The pick-up coil passed the two checks. The Ignition coil failed step 2 and step 3. I read step 2 to require low resistance ( good continuity) but I read infinite (open circuit) resistance on the meter. On step 3 (which is poorly worded) it requires low resistance ("should not read infinite"). Mine measured at infinite resistance (open circuit).

So it seems the Ignition Coil needs replacing... But these readings are total opposites of the required readings, ie: open circuit (infinite resistance) vs continuity (low resistance), and vice versa. My reason for questioning the validity of these checks is that the car actually runs. It would seem logical that these indications would seem to indicate complete failure. So why is it still running?

Am I missing something here???

And yes, I checked and rechecked the correct terminals to be measured and I know how to use an ohmmeter.

https://images.fiero.nl/2010/disttest_1.jpg

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tom10122

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you did measure it correctly then the connectors must have a good amount of corrosion on them as the two points in test 2 are the same piece of metal. It could be too much for your meter to measure but once there's power it may arc to make the connection. Just my 2 cents, not an expert though.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

If you did measure it correctly then the connectors must have a good amount of corrosion on them as the two points in test 2 are the same piece of metal. It could be too much for your meter to measure but once there's power it may arc to make the connection. Just my 2 cents, not an expert though.

I scraped off a bit of crud and used some electrical contact cleaner. All measurements normal now.

Thanks Tom.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 06-21-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock