Problem cornering (fuel issue?) by Myworldfiero
Started on: 06-20-2015 04:49 PM
Replies: 3 (100 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 06-21-2015 06:34 PM
Myworldfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyworldfieroSend a Private Message to MyworldfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone. Recently I've had an issue with one of my Fiero's. It's a STOCK V6, tuned exhaust but that's all.

Day 1 - I changed to a high performance ignition coil MSD & the front 3 spark plugs. Test drove & no problems.
Day 2 - I changed the back 3 spark plugs, again no problem. Also have a new gas cap if that even matters..
Day 3 - I then drove it for a bit, started sounding a little weird like there was a veryyyy slight miss once in awhile, randomly, cornering or straight. I later was down to 1/4 tank of fuel & after I had filled up my tank, the car decided not to start.... I got it towed to the local mechanic shop where they found it was the fuel pump that wasn't good. So they changed that & it worked again.

Days later... the car is driveable only in a straight line. When I corner at 15mph or more, it wants to stall coming out of the corner. Why is that? Sometimes I hear a bang from the fuel tank, like a pop, as if something is moving away from Blocking the fuel hole. It is so strange. In fact one day, after cornering, I came out of the turn & going up thru the gears to 3rd gear then it just stalled & I was literally coasting, had to stop to restart the engine & it restarted right away.

It is very dangerous. But I have now just thrown it into neutral before every turn, once out the rpms drop very low & then back up to around 1,000rpms & I can keep going putting it into 2nd gear.

So why is it wanting to stall after every turn?? I'm afraid one day I'll come out of the turn & stall big time with a tailgater on my rear.....

Any advice or knowledge is very much appreciated, thanks!

Danny
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drop the fuel tank and find out. It only takes about an hour with basic tools. Change out the fuel filter (inline) and check the strainer on the pickup. Look for rust in your tank, and if the car was sitting for a while and you didn't dump the gas out, you should probably dump it out and put fresh gas in. Maybe you've got a loose baffle, or maybe someone dropped something in the tank? Maybe the sender unit is also corroded and needs to be replaced.... Like i said, you'd have to drop that tank to figure out anything.

------------------

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd take it back to the mechanic and tell them to check the fuel pump installation. They probably screwed something up.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also agree with broken or loose baffle in tank.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock