Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  A/C Pro's, Need Advice Please. Which Comp Best HR6 or HR6HE (Stock 86 GT 2.8 5sp)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A/C Pro's, Need Advice Please. Which Comp Best HR6 or HR6HE (Stock 86 GT 2.8 5sp) by Ponnari
Started on: 06-19-2015 05:29 PM
Replies: 18 (398 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 06-24-2015 10:19 AM
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
stock 86 GT v6 5sp with A/C and am going to purchase a new compressor

Hello everyone, and thank you for the help in advance. I have searched the forum but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Which A/C compressor is best for an r134a upgrade HE6 or HE6HE (PO removed it, so no idea what it was). Also, what brands of compressors have been used with good results, ACDELCO, Four Seasons, etc?

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which ever one you choose, resist the temptation to buy a reman unit. Go with a new one. There are design changes that make the new ones 10 times better. The remans are a crap shoot at best, mine lasted less than 50mis and dumped all the oil out. The new one not only seals better but has a lot less draw on the engine.
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks "tebailey", Yes, I'm getting a brand new one. Thanks for the info!
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:

Thanks "tebailey", Yes, I'm getting a brand new one. Thanks for the info!

In 2013, I bought one from Autozone. It's been the most quiet, freezing cold compressor so far!

Compressor Works/A/C Compressor
Part Number: 620248
Availability: Ships within 1-2 business days.
Notes: New with clutch
Warranty: 3 MO
next Do you need related items?
$209.99
SAVINGS APPLIED
+Core: $10.00
$219.99
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

In 2013, I bought one from Autozone. It's been the most quiet, freezing cold compressor so far!

$209.99
SAVINGS APPLIED
$219.99

That's the same one I have, super quite and ice cold. I had to go back and look at the clutch when I was charging it because I couldn't tell if it was kicking in or not.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$209.99
SAVINGS APPLIED
$219.99

Thanks for the info! I just ordered one of these for my '88 GT and used the discount code "TOW20" and got $41 and some change off (came to $192.25 shipped with tax). My AC still works, but the compressor howls like a banshee when it's on. I can't wait to have noise-free air conditioning.
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

Thanks for the info! I just ordered one of these for my '88 GT and used the discount code "TOW20" and got $41 and some change off (came to $192.25 shipped with tax). My AC still works, but the compressor howls like a banshee when it's on. I can't wait to have noise-free air conditioning.

Great, but there's more to achieiving maximum cooling efficiency. Have you also ordered orifice filter, dryer canister, pressure cycling switch, o-ring kit, mineral oil (to lube the orings only), PAG150 oil to dump into canister and compressor?
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great, but there's more to achieiving maximum cooling efficiency. Have you also ordered orifice filter, dryer canister, pressure cycling switch, o-ring kit, mineral oil (to lube the orings only), PAG150 oil to dump into canister and compressor?

Nope. I'm just acquiring parts right now. Everything in the AC system will be replaced/renewed when I do the job.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

New compressors usually specify PAG46, but always check the instruction sheet that comes with it.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use PAG oil make sure all the old oil is flushed from the system.
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

New compressors usually specify PAG46, but always check the instruction sheet that comes with it.

I'm not sure it really matters? I used PAG150 based on back/forth arguments on here and someone quoted a TSB from GM where they recommended PAG150.
Probably doesnt matter as long as you use something. And yep, need to flush the old crud. BTW, I thoroughly flushed the condenser AND muffler/hose and didnt have any issues.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM recommends PAG150 for use in retrofits where the original compressor is used, because the higher viscosity oil works better with the worn out old compressors. The new compressors are manufactured to tighter tolerances, and the manufacturer knows exactly what type of oil should be used with it in order to prevent early failure (more warranty claims = lower revenue).
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used ester oil since it will mix with any mineral oil without ill effects. Almost all the "conversion kits" use ester. So far no problems all is working well.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used both ester and PAG for my conversions, honestly have not noticed any difference. They both seem to mix with residual mineral oil.

I would go with the weight of oil specified by the manufacturer though. If they recommend PAG46, use PAG46. I think all Ester oil for refrigeration use is 100 weight.
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the info. After reading through everything this is the New Compressor I'm leaning toward buying.
My question is that the ad states that it is for cars with DA6 or HR6 Compressor. So is this NEW Comprossor a DA6 or HR6 Unit? Something else? Or does it matter? Is this the one others have used?

Fom Autozone:

Features & Benefits

Compressor Works products meet or exceed OE fit, form and function. The quality, durability, and reliability of all products are backed by over 50 years of excellence in mobile air conditioning experience and know how. Fix it once and fix it right with Compressor Works.
Endurance tested the equivalent of 50k miles
Includes specific electrical connector to eliminate splicing
Each unit is assembled with ICE32 lubricant to reduce internal friction promoting enhanced system performance and longevity
Our 10 Cylinder design runs quieter and more efficient than the original equipment 6 Cylinder design It also incorporates dowel pins to prevent case twisting - a common source of leaks in the original equipment design
Each unit is individually leak, vacuum and pressure tested prior to packaging to ensure leak free performance
Uses PAG 46

Product Details

Weight: 15.73 lbs
Warranty: 2 YR
With HR6, DA6 compressor

Color / Finish: Aluminum
Compressor Clutch Included: Yes
Core Charge Applicable: Yes
Installation Hardware Included: Gaskets, O-Rings
Installation Instructions Included: Yes
Item Grade: OEM Standard
Material: Aluminum
Package Contents: Compressor, Instruction Sheet, Tags, O-Rings, Gaskets
Product Condition: New
Pulley Type / Grooves: V Belt 1 Groove
Pulleys Included: 1
Refrigerant Compatibility: R12/R134a

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a redesigned model so I'm sure it's based on the HR6, not the DA6.

Also, the DA6 was not designed for R-134a. The features specifically state that its compatible with R-134a.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The notes on their website say 'New with Clutch' so it's new. Usually the new ones are bare metal and the remans are spray painted black

10 cylinder design = improved design over the original DA6 or HR6.

'With DA6 or HR6' means it'll work in either car. For FIeros, it means it will work in all models except 86-88 4 cylinders, which came with the V5 compressor.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the one I have and love it. Less draw on the engine and a lot quieter.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

My AC still works, but the compressor howls like a banshee when it's on. I can't wait to have noise-free air conditioning.

Yesterday RockinRoger and I had a discussion about this same problem. My 87's compressor does the same thing, sometimes. He said it's because of the clearance in the clutch faces. He said that you can rent the special tool kit containing special bolts and nuts that can adjust the clearance. The clearance, according to him should be precisely .030 inches. This clearance increases over time due to wear. A word of caution from Roger is that you should keep checking the clearance with every small adjustment because if you get it too tight, you must then rent a different tool set to back it out. He said that it can be done in the car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock