TPS code? by LaurenDee
Started on: 06-17-2015 04:08 PM
Replies: 8 (213 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 06-27-2015 06:22 PM
LaurenDee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaurenDeeSend a Private Message to LaurenDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello! I'm having some idle issues with my 86 gt.
So I've had a lot done to the car and get it back and I hear and see from rpms what I think is a vacuum leak. I've been driving the car with hi idle for weeks. It's on and off. Revs to like 3000 when I engage the clutch.
The past week or so I've been seeing that randomly for about 10 minutes of drive time the idle will shoot up to 4000 and the check engine light comes on and shoots TPS codes 21 and 22. If I wiggle the tps the idle will go back down and the light will go off but as soon as I start to drive it, it does it again. Obviously I should look into getting a new tps judging by what my cars telling me but I just threw away tons of money putting new stuff on the car it doesn't need. Including an iac the other day that didn't make a difference.
My question is do you guys think it may be a bad wire? Should I get a whole new tps or the piggy back?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Your TPS may or may not be shot... but you've obviously got a bad vacuum leak that needs to be fixed. I suppose you've looked over the most obvious source of a leak, the EGR tube?
LaurenDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaurenDeeSend a Private Message to LaurenDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've tried to diagnose the vacuum leak but I have a hole in my muffler which needs replaced and I think it just overpowers where I'm trying to hear.
The egr seems like no leaks. The tube and solenoid feel tight and by holding my hand on and near I don't feel any air but I'm not sure that's really a good way to determine.
Ive heard of someone pushing smoke through the engine to then see where air is leaking out before? Is that an easy way to check for vacuum leaks?
I moved away from home where my dad use to always fix my fiero whenever it broke and now I'm left on my own. I've managed to fix most of the bugs but this damn idle issue is annoying and really bad on my mileage.
I'm a girl and not very mechanically enclined.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LaurenDee:

I'm a girl and not very mechanically enclined.

Or a good speller. Heh heh...

Hey, lots of girls/women are very mechanically inclined. My mom was a perfect example.

Now that you've let the cat out of the bag (about being a girl), I'm sure there's any number of Fiero guys living in your area who'd be happy to help you with your GT.

I mentioned the EGR tube as nine times out of ten a high idle/vacuum leak with the 2.8 Fiero engine is the result of a cracked EGR tube. With the insulating jacket on it, it's not always obvious that it's cracked. This is the crack (and blockage) I found on my '88 a few weeks ago...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-17-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your problem may be a defective TPS. I have an extra one here, used but in good shape electrically and cosmetically. I just tested it and it meets specs. You can have it free for the cost of postage. PM if interested.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

LaurenDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LaurenDeeSend a Private Message to LaurenDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses haha. So I see in your photo your tube looks nothing like mine. I do have the 86 egr but I think I have the after market pipe on it so does that mean it could still be cracked on the inside? Or does he new design prevent that
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LaurenDee:

So I see in your photo your tube looks nothing like mine. I do have the 86 egr but I think I have the after market pipe on it so does that mean it could still be cracked on the inside? Or does he new design prevent that?

Other than the fact that the '88 EGR tube is a bit longer than the earlier years, the major difference between them is simply the look of the insulating jacket. As far as I know, the actual metal tube is still the same. Any chance you could post a picture of how your tube looks different?
LaurenDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LaurenDeeSend a Private Message to LaurenDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agh I wish, but I don't have a computer, unless there is a way to through mobile. It's the woven braided one off the fiero store
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2015 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one of those......pretty sure it's not leaking. It's over engineered for the job.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock