Notchback with gt front bumper discussion by 88 fiero formula
Started on: 06-17-2015 02:19 AM
Replies: 21 (1163 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 06-22-2015 11:10 AM
88 fiero formula

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fiero formulaSend a Private Message to 88 fiero formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to add a more aggresive look to my formula body styled 88 fiero 2.8 5 speed. Im repainting it and was wondering if you had any opinions on a formula with a gt front bumper? I have seen gts with formula front ends but rarely the other way around for some reason? Also color ideas that are different but not flashy enough to draw police attention on the road and get me constantly harassed?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factory Aero notchies look just like that. Except you won't have the ground effects and rear bumper to match
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I don't like them. The lines are all wrong, but that is just me. I would keep the Formula stock, as it is unique.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ugh! Why spoil the looks of your formula?
Consider also that unless you change out all of the under car front air control for the radiator, you will have cooling issues. GT's and aero notchies are bottom breathers, the Formulas and bumper pads breath through the front fascia opening. Its not as simple as just replacing the skin.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Ugh! Why spoil the looks of your formula?
Consider also that unless you change out all of the under car front air control for the radiator, you will have cooling issues. GT's and aero notchies are bottom breathers, the Formulas and bumper pads breath through the front fascia opening. Its not as simple as just replacing the skin.

That's good advice.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the other way to look aggressive. I put an 84 nose on one of my 86 GTs.

88 fiero formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fiero formulaSend a Private Message to 88 fiero formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im open to other suggestions. Just looking for a way to get a beefier look to go with the new exhaust. Andys auto sells nice fender and side skirts but they specify for 85-87 not for the 88 and I was hoping I wouldnt have to do any glass work like I would for the skirts from archie or any of the other sites. Iv never done fiber glass work and dont want my notchy to turn into a failed fiber glass experiment
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To me, a Formula with fat tires and sitting down a a bit (or larger diameter tires to fill the wheel wells) is the most aggressive looking Fiero made.
PM me your email addy and I'll send you some pics....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-18-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 fiero formula:

Im repainting it and was wondering if you had any opinions on a formula with a gt front bumper?

When I bought my '84 years ago, the previous owner had converted it from a bumper-pad to basically an '85 GT look alike. However, he took all sorts of short cuts and nothing was done properly. The panels didn't have the underlying supports (and air deflectors for the rad, etc) and it took me awhile going to wrecking yards to find everything I needed to do the job properly. However, it was worth it as I really like the look of an '85 GT (although I'm not too fussy about the factory wing).

I now have an '88 Formula and to tell the truth, I don't like the way a stock Formula looks. I've made changes, and will continue to do more. It's an evolving process, and I'm trying to enhance the car, not destroy it.

If you wish to put a GT nose on your Formula, just keep in mind that not only will everything under it need to be swapped over, but unless you do further alterations, it won't match the lines of the rest of the car. The GT nose flows into the aero trim on the sides of the car (as you can see on my '84 below), and a Formula doesn't have that... unless you add it (or something similar) as well.

I suppose a GT nose would blend into a non-aero equipped Fiero better if the nose was all one color (as opposed to having silver trim), but IMO the silver trim looks great when the rest of the car is done up in that manner. (I don't like the uni-color '88 GTs.)
Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this in the mall shortly after reading this post. Almost exactly what you're wanting to do aesthetically atleast.
Click

Personally I hated the look of the notchbacks when I first got my Fiero. It's slowly started to grow on me and now I think I may even prefer it. I even prefer the look of the Formula front end because it is rather unique in regards to the '88 year with the 6 cylinder. If I had my pick though I'd buy either an '86 GT or an Indy because the aero nose is still pretty damn cool.
88 fiero formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fiero formulaSend a Private Message to 88 fiero formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a "GT look" front bumper cover made for the notchback front end. Would that eliminate the cooling issues?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dylpro:

I even prefer the look of the Formula front end because it is rather unique in regards to the '88 year with the 6 cylinder.

Except for the fact that it's the same nose as the '88 and '87 4-banger coupe.

Originally posted by 88 fiero formula:

I found a "GT look" front bumper cover made for the notchback front end. Would that eliminate the cooling issues?

Let's see a picture of one, preferably one that's installed.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-19-2015).]

Dylpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only 6 cylinder with that nose is what I meant, unless '87 SEs had them too, I'm not sure.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 SE has the aero nose and ribbed molding, same exterior body styling as the 84 Indy, 85 GT and 86 SE.
The Formula body style is the same as the 87 (but only one exhaust cutout)and 88 base coupe, and the only Fiero that was standard with the wing.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Formula and I like the nose as is. However Roger Garrison had an interesting idea in modding the nose similar to the C4 Vette. They look very much alike.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

I have a Formula and I like the nose as is. However Roger Garrison had an interesting idea in modding the nose similar to the C4 Vette. They look very much alike.

Its been done:

http://www.pisafierohq.com/rebody_kits/zr-2/
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87 SE has the aero nose and ribbed molding...

I didn't know the ribbed molding carried over into any models in '87. I learned something.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2015 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 85GT was a notchback with an aero nose. I have one being completed into a rag top (using a California Convertible kit) and I like the styling.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I didn't know the ribbed molding carried over into any models in '87. I learned something.

IIRC, the '87 SE was the last one to have ribbed mouldings. Everything else in the '87-88 model years had round mouldings.

Side note: if you transplant an aero nose onto your Formula, make sure it's an '86-up GT nose. The '85 GT and all the SE models had ribbed mouldings. You don't want to mix and match moulding styles, because there are a lot of differences in addition to the moulding.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good advice, as the metal mounting plates behind the marker lights are different between the ribbed and smooth moldings.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good advice, as the metal mounting plates behind the marker lights are different between the ribbed and smooth moldings.

Plus the marker lights themselves are different. And some of the mounting holes (for attaching the wheel well liners, air dam, etc) are in slightly different locations.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The 85GT was a notchback with an aero nose.

Yeah - basically an 84 Indy body with V6 engine.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-22-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock