timing chain cover gasket question by NCTyphoonKid
Started on: 06-15-2015 08:12 PM
Replies: 5 (247 views)
Last post by: NCTyphoonKid on 06-17-2015 10:03 PM
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would I be better off with a paper gasket or a gasket maker sealant. I put the paper gasket on a couple years ago and it started leaking around the water jacket so I finally figured out where the leak was coming from and why it kept overheating.

------------------
Korey "Plastic Makes It Possible"
86 Pontiac Fiero SE #70123, gold on black options incl luggage rack,power windows,power door locks,sunroof,4 spd,black GT lace wheels,restoring it back to stock check out my build thread!
84 Jeep CJ7 "Dixie"
86 Buick Grand National bone stock
93 GMC Typhoon #1710 black on black bone stock

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I honestly would use both. Put a thin layer of gasket sealer on each side of the paper gasket and apply it. I have never had any trouble with this method.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

I honestly would use both. Put a thin layer of gasket sealer on each side of the paper gasket and apply it. I have never had any trouble with this method.

Thanks for the advice this is how I done it this time. How long do you think I should wait to put antifreeze back in it and see if it has any leaks this time? I've already bolted the cover back to the engine but haven't installed the harmonic balancer or water pump pulley or any hoses
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
24 hours. You can fill the system, but i wouldn't run it till then.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Permatex #2 sealant on both sides of the gasket and you can fill it and start it immediately.
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't use the permatex wish I'd known that but I let the car sit till when I got off work this evening and filled it up and drove about 15-20 miles and all was well so far

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock