In-Speedometer Trip Computer by fieroluke
Started on: 06-15-2015 07:23 AM
Replies: 4 (394 views)
Last post by: fieroluke on 06-17-2015 07:25 AM
fieroluke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi folks,

sorry I've been too busy to check in here over the past few months, but I've been busy with an OLED based trip computer for the F-body.
After a while I realized that this would look nice on the Fiero too, so I did some software adaptations.
I think it's now in a state that it's ready to be shown here, this is what it looks like:

You can read about it here: Fiero.de
or if you want to read the whole story, check into the F-body world: F-body forum
The F-body forum has quite a few videos as well. I did post some Fiero-vids to the Facebook group as well, but I'm just too busy to post everything everywhere ;-)

It's been installed in my daily driver for a few weeks now and I love it!
I'm currently in the process of getting rid of the extra box, and putting everything (!) on a circuit board that is going to be a drop in replacement of
the stock Fiero speedometer board. I do have to recycle a few parts from the board, namely some ICs and the spring clips for the air core instrument, but still this is going to be a very clean upgrade. All wiring for extra components (i.e. outside temperature sensor, GPS input, 12V hot at all times, etc.) are done through unused terminals on the stock speedo connector.

I'll post more when there is more to post ;-)

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information
Maroon 87 GT daily driver with Firebird Body Control Module, Power Window Controllers and Dash mounted Scantool/Trip Computer

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is way cool. One of the thoughts that I've been toying with is replacing the gas/temp gauge with an LCD. Since it looks like you are tying into the CAN bus, that would be another option that would give you more real estate to work with and you wound't have to cut up the speedo.

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That needs to go on the "COOL WALL"
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it!

Very cool.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-16-2015).]

fieroluke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!

Regarding the TFT replacement for temp/fuel gauge: Been there, done that ;-) I have a prototype on my desk, but the display alone is prohibitively expensive in single quantities. And it's a triple circuit board sandwich construction including 3D printed parts to be able to mount it mechanically. Very labor intensive to build!

However, I wanted to create something affordable that maybe appeals to broader audience. Then along came the Firebird project, and this is the result...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock