Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  4.9 swapped and cant keep running (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
4.9 swapped and cant keep running by Cavvy09
Started on: 06-11-2015 10:29 PM
Replies: 56 (814 views)
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 06-19-2015 03:49 PM
Cavvy09

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked spark, it's good. The injectors have a constant current going to them also.
IP: Logged
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How were you checking them? The injectors are always connected to +12V. They are triggered with a ground at the ECM. There shouldn't be a "constant current" going to them.
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With logic probe.
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cavvy09

113 posts
Member since Jun 2015
So with no pulse even when the engine fired, i had my wife fire it up 8 different times and got a constant red light no pulse. Have any ideas, or is there something else i should try?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VATS.
Have your chip reflashed.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 12v + will always be there, you need a multi meter in between the 12v hot and the triggered injector ground. Set on dc volts. I still think you have a bad ground. W/o a good ecu ground the injectors won't fire.

------------------

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Were you checking power side or ecm side of the injectors?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

VATS.
Have your chip reflashed.

I agree that it keeps pointing back to the VATS. But how common is it for a chip to suddenly turn VATS back on when it used to be programmed out and running fine? I think the bad ground might be more likely. However....I guess I wouldn't rule out spontaneous reprogramming, it is a Fiero after all . I did it the safe way. I have a frequency generator AND have it programmed out of my ECM.

Make sure there aren't any "loose" wires from the ECM. One of the grounds could have broken off.

Note: the ground wires are: D1, D6, D7 & A12
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked right on back of the injectors. I tried 4 different ones. I will check the grounds when get a chance. Putting in 14 hour days in oil fields right now.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1st - I am not sure a logic probe would pick up an injector pulse - use a volt meter and check it at the ECM to be sure you have the correct side. It should show a pulse during the initial startup, no way it would fire without the pulse (unless you are manually adding fuel).

Are we sure the VATS programmed out? This is exactly how it reacts to no VATS signal.

It could be that the PO located the bypass someplace else other then near the ECM. Is there a wire in the green ECM plug on pin F10? If so there still could be a bypass module someplace. I would trace that wire back and see where it goes. If not, then you can be sure that the VATS has been programmed out (unless the chip was changed for one of those Hyperchip thingys).

You can then go from there. If the engine is firing then I would say the injectors are working fine (the ECM is just turning them off is my guess - back to VATS). Like other said, check your grounds (I would even add a ground to the ECM case). Personally I would suspect a bad MEMCAL or ECM - ECM is easy enough to swap out, the MEMCAL would have to be flashed though to fit your car (VATS programmed out, etc).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-18-2015).]

Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no wire at all in pin f10 location. I dont really know where else to look to see where bypass is. I had whole center console out. I will try volt meter and my grounds soon as i can?
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's safe to say that your VATS originally was programmed out. Although it really does seem like you don't have any VATS bypass currently. You should contact Stickpony and get another chip, or install a bypass circuit.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PASS...em3f4d0ea847&vxp=mtr

Of course, if your chip had VATS bypass and now isn't working...I'd go for the new chip. Who knows what else is wrong with it.
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it just be easier to just take it somewhere have them hook up to computer and see whats going on?
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cavvy09

113 posts
Member since Jun 2015
Im not trying to be hard or seem dumb. I just have no clue to any of the electonics on this stuff.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes...except I don't know of any place you could go. I have my own burner, so I just sent files back and forth with Stickpony, then burnt my own chips. Maybe someone else knows a place that you could bring the car in your area.
Cavvy09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cavvy09Send a Private Message to Cavvy09Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for ya'lls help. This is only place that has offered any advice on anything. Wish i would have seen this forum along time ago when i had my first fiero
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since there is no VATS wire it would have been programmed out.

That leaves me to believe bad MEMCAL (chip) or ECM.

All you can do is send the chip out to someone to verify the code (VATS is off) or have Stickpony send you another one. If you have someone in your area with a 4.9l you can ask them to test your ECM in their car, if it does the same thing, then install their chip.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock