Seafoam by newfiejeff
Started on: 06-11-2015 09:50 AM
Replies: 5 (471 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 06-11-2015 07:47 PM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2M4
As you are all aware from my past posts about my car burning oil.
I decided a couple of weeks ago to do the seafoam thing, which I did and never really saw any great results, but I done it.
The only thing that I did see was that my oil pressure has gone from a little below the half mark to a little above the half mark. I guess it did something. I have about 300 miles on the motor since I put seafoam in the engine so an oil change is in the very near future.

Anyone see any results or comments on seafoam? Is it worth using again one day or is it just a pile of hype to sell the product.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you put the seafoam. As for the oil pressure, the only way to really know is to put a mechanical guage on it.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seafoam in the brake booster line, gas tank and engine oil.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you change oil afterwards? Or are you running on thinned down oil?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ran for about a 200+ klm's and it's been parked since then, will change the oil this weekend.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although Seafoam is used as an induction cleaner and fuel system cleaner we found it works well for decarboning pistons and rings. This used to be a huge problem with Chevette engines and Suzuki 3 cylinders. The rings would get jammed with crap and make them loose compression. We have also had success with Prius hybrid engines due to their start/stop operation. GM used to sell a very good tip end cleaner, used the same way but took it off the market due to rumors of storage mishaps.
However, there is a way to make it work. This only works engines that you can get the pistons level. On Prius we raise the back of the car on a lift. Remove all the spark plugs. Then move the crank by hand to get the pistons even in the cylinders. With a funnel, add about 4oz. to each cylinder and let it set that way overnight. Then we use a small hose on a brake vacuum bleeder to remove any Seafoam left in the cylinders. Then very important. Drain the oil and change. We have a oil charger that we use about 1/2 quart of oil to flush the system. Without one I would change the oil again after running a little with a new filter. Seafoam will find it's way to the crankcase and badly strip the oil. Don't run the engine after this without changing the oil. After we change the oil we disable fuel pump, crank the engine around without the plugs with rags, weighted down, over the plug holes to remove any left after vacuuming. Reinstall the plugs and fire it up. We have did before and after pics with a bore scope and it does a great job of cleaning the pistons up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock