Managed to light the stock Fiero window switches by 1Packrat
Started on: 06-10-2015 10:51 PM
Replies: 9 (441 views)
Last post by: kevin on 06-12-2015 02:04 PM
1Packrat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original plan was to light just the edges of the window switches. After installing the led’s in the switch I noticed the replacement switches had a area the let the light come through the face. Like the switch for the rear window defogger but with no image. They were replacement switches I had installed quite a while ago purchased from the Fiero Store. So I thought why not take advantage of this. Went online and found icons for power windows and printed them on a Brother P-touch 2430pc machine that will print graphics. I had to do a little work with the icons like invert colors and then paste to a black background with a white line border for the effect I ended with. I like the way they turned out.

Here are the pictures…

Night shots of Red light is always had to do.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job and nice idea. I like them a lot!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats awesome.
If the sticker was a little taller would the bright line at the top be covered?
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes if the sticker were taller it would cover that area. Because of the low light that line looks much brighter in the picture than it really is. I left that line for the effect of switch location at night. The light that come through the logo is visible but much dimmer. Sorry I am not a photographer and can't get a shot of how it really looks at night I did the best I could. These were the best of over 60 shots taken.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice mod.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work👍,
Have you considered selling your great idea? I believe many Fiero fans, me included, would purchase these! Any thoughts of making a few extra bucks for yourself? It will no doubt be a winner💰😊
Cordially,
kevin
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kevin,

I found that my switches had a semi transparent area quite by accident when I tested the led’s with a 9 volt battery. So I took advantage of the fact. I do not know if they are all like that or not.

As for making them, I am retired now and able to do what I want to do, not what I have too.

Work is now a four letter word I prefer Play.

I wanted to just show what I had found and did with it. To find out if your switches have this semi transparent area pop out the button and shine a bright light from the back side.

Since doing this I have already changed the overlay to black on a clear background which when applied now looks black and gray with the lights off. To me the white was drawing to much attention to the center console. I have also changed the overlay covering most of the bright line on the top just leaving a small slit in the center. I will try to get a picture later today.
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1Packrat

130 posts
Member since Jul 2011
Here are the new overlays I am using....

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats pretty cool. If you wanted to I bet you could paint on the backside of the switch to block that bright line, or part of it too. Then the sticker could still be smaller.
Cool idea!
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update ! Can you show us your procedure on how to do this via YouTube? We anxiously awaiting anything you can share with us.
Cordially,
kevin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock