84 won't start by kenstall
Started on: 06-08-2015 07:45 PM
Replies: 4 (86 views)
Last post by: kenstall on 06-08-2015 09:01 PM
kenstall

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kenstallSend a Private Message to kenstallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello. I'm in need of some help. I do most of the work on my Fiero myself...but I'm not expert. I have a 1984 Fiero that has been in a heated garage and not driven in about two years. I went to start it and it cranks but will not start. Starter fluid in the throttle body will run the car for a few seconds. I've changed the fuel filter (which was dry when I took it off). Still no start.. I changed the fuel pump relay, thinking that was the problem. Still no start. I changed the ECM, still no start (I don't think the old one was bad). So I thought it was the fuel pump, so I dropped the tank and put a new pump in. The old pump had the red wire disconnected and the rubber hose had come off the connectors. So I thought for sure that this would fix the problem. STILL NO START. I do get a code 12 when I use the test connector, but not other trouble codes. I ran 12v lead to the fuel pump test terminal and still don't get any fuel (I can't really hear the fuel pump running). I have not been able to trace the entire leads from the gas tank to the engine, so I'm not completely sure everything is connected. On an 1984 is there a connector somewhere near the catalytic converter? Is there any other way to test the leads to the tank without dropping it again? That was a very difficult job and I'm not looking forward to doing it again. Would another problem prevent the fuel pump from running, like fuel pressure, etc? One last question, when I replaced the pump the pump had different electrical connections. The old pump had three wires. A red and a black from the sending unit and another black that grounded the pump.. The new pump had only two wires, a red and a black, which I connected to the sending leads per the instructions. I'm assuming that is correct. I'm frustrated with this problem and hoping someone can help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can jumper the pump on the ALDL terminal G. Use 12v from the cig lighter
kenstall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kenstallSend a Private Message to kenstallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried that and didn't seem to get any fuel or hear the pump running.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 did the same thing when I got it. The hose inside the tank had dissolved at the pump. Does sound like your pump is trashed.
kenstall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kenstallSend a Private Message to kenstallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old pump was trashed, the red wire had come off and the rubber hose definitely shot. But I replaced the pump and all parts. So unless the fiero store sent me a bad 'new' pump, that shouldn't be the problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock