Catch can /breather on 3800 sc by Celthora87GT
Started on: 06-08-2015 10:34 AM
Replies: 2 (550 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 06-09-2015 01:08 PM
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys. With my new set up, a gen5 blower 3.0 pulley and a zzp short stack intercooler i am getting alot of crankcase pressure. Enough to blow oil out the dipstick. So i wedged a breather on the oil fill port and now that leaks onto my header.

So what do you guys use or recommend.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Gen 5 blower has a breather port exiting upwards from just behind the throttle body. That's what that 3/8" metal hose nipple is that is sticking straight up out of the blower housing next to where the throttle body bolts on. Normally, you should be able to mount an open element breather filter directly on this. But I don't know if the ZZP SS intercooler blocks off the passage for that or not. It might (you'll have to ask them). If it is blocked off by their IC, then you're going to need to run a breather cap in place of the oil fill cap. And to help prevent blowing oil out of the breather cap, you need to install an elbow between it and the valve cover. GM part number: 12584043 should be for a Series 3 oil tube that has a 45 deg bend in it so it will stick the breather cap straight up and that should help cure most (if not all) of your oil problem. If it doesn't, then you may need a catch-can. But I'm not running a catch can on my turbo application and don't have an issue with the oil dripping out of my breather cap onto the rear manifold.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-08-2015).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Below is a picture of the oil fill tube I'm talking about.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-09-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock