Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What flush mount stereo mount and need wiring diagram.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What flush mount stereo mount and need wiring diagram. by Monkeyman
Started on: 06-07-2015 06:42 AM
Replies: 32 (977 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 06-25-2015 03:17 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the "nice" stereo out of the Fiero and put it in the truck. I'll put the "decent" stereo in the Fiero. I need a part number for a flush mount mounting kit (DIN) that's inexpensive (meaning NOT the Humount). I also need the Fiero wiring diagram.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

notwohorns

1175 posts
Member since Jul 2009
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any car stereo place will have a kit for the mount. Radio Shack also. If time is not of the essence, then Crutchfield.com.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 Pontiac Fiero Car Stereo Wiring Guide

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 4″ Speakers x 10″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Side Panels
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue
good link to save for looking up wiring of any make
http://www.modifiedlife.com...stereo-wiring-guide/
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Any car stereo place will have a kit for the mount. Radio Shack also. If time is not of the essence, then Crutchfield.com.

The only mount Crutchfield has is a 1/2" or 1" extension kit. Nothing flush mounted. Thanks, anyway.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

1986 Pontiac Fiero Car Stereo Wiring Guide

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 4″ Speakers x 10″
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 4″ x 6″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Side Panels
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue
good link to save for looking up wiring of any make
http://www.modifiedlife.com...stereo-wiring-guide/

Thanks.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think ive ever seen a flushmount kit. There is not a lot of depth for a modern stereo to fit flush without modification. The factory stereos are 1 to 1-1/2" shorter then most single dins i've seen.

I made my own using a 1/8" aluminum plate and modified inside the console frame for clearance.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2015 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting to know about the flush mount kits. Thanks for the reply back.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found one that can be easily modified to work. Info in this post in my build thread.https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000059-5.html#p193
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you modify it to work? Just ordered the mount from Sonix Electronics.
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I am late to the party, but you could check out: http://www.parts-express.co...w-eq-option--265-711

Has several different "options".

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-09-2015).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

How did you modify it to work? Just ordered the mount from Sonix Electronics.

Sorry. Just saw this post.

I'm pulling the trim again tonight to change some bulbs. I'll do a short write up with pics later tonight.

Basically you trim the mount back on the bottom and attach small angle brackets to the side. This allows it to sit the 1/8 in deeper that it needs to go.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

I guess I am late to the party...

Thanks anyway but I ordered the one that Fieroseverywhere suggested.

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I'm pulling the trim again tonight to change some bulbs. I'll do a short write up with pics later tonight.

Basically you trim the mount back on the bottom and attach small angle brackets to the side. This allows it to sit the 1/8 in deeper that it needs to go.

I'll be looking forward to reading your write up.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is the part you trim. Top and bottom. Its hollow and can be trimmed with a razor blabe.

The angle used to attach it can be anything. Thinner is better so stainless would probably be best. I used an ABS angle I had from a previous install. Its bolted on with the included hardware. I ground the heads of the carriage bolts to make it easier to slide the radio in. I also used abs cement.

My particular radio sits 1/4" from the steering support column in the back. I test fit everything with the 1.5din face before switching to the 2din. Hope this helps.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to revisit this but the wires I have on the connectors in the Fiero are different than the schematics posted. I have the following: (1) small connector with yellow and orange wires and (1) large connector with red/black/orange with a white stripe/blue plus the paired speaker wires. The wiring for my stereo has: black (ground), yellow (constant power), red (switched power), blue (antenna remote which I don't need) plus the paired speaker wires. Seems I have an extra couple wires on the Fiero side.

Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 06-14-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone?
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was there a different radio that was spliced into the factory harness?, sorry just reread your post, you may have one or two, some radios don't use the illumination/dimmer.

dan

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 06-17-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a different (non-stock) radio wired in and I'm now wiring in yet another non-stock radio. I still have too many wires on the Fiero side. I only have (3) non-speaker wires on the stereo side. Yellow, red and black (constant power, switched power and ground). On the Fiero side, I have (5) non-speaker wires (not counting the blue (amp turn on, dimming or antenna...whatever it's for). Orange and yellow on a plug by themselves and red, black and orange with a white stripe on the main plug. That's where I get lost.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can only think maybe PO had amp/external cd changer attached via those wires. Check this site, look at the plug views.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.asp

dan
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything was connected to the radio. No idea why I have extra wires or what they go to. I guess it doesn't matter. I'm not driving the car anyway. Thanks for the link.
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm about ready to hook up the stereo. Anybody else want to give this a try? I don't want to fry either the stereo or the car.

Anybody? Would a pic of either wiring harness help?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anybody? Would a pic of either wiring harness help?

Pics of both, list of wires on either side.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2015 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry to revisit this but the wires I have on the connectors in the Fiero are different than the schematics posted. I have the following: (1) small connector with yellow and orange wires and (1) large connector with red/black/orange with a white stripe/blue plus the paired speaker wires. The wiring for my stereo has: black (ground), yellow (constant power), red (switched power), blue (antenna remote which I don't need) plus the paired speaker wires. Seems I have an extra couple wires on the Fiero side.

Any suggestions?

The P.O. most likely tied into the factory wires.. look farther up the wires to where he/she spliced in the aftermarket radio connector..

The listing I posted is it for all 84-88 .. Hell, that's the wiring in most g.m. cars for years, other than some high end bose set up's that caddy and the vette had.
I highly doubt the p.o rewired the car with new wires all the way to the fuse block and to the speakers..
look for where the splice was done, and you'll find the factory color/wire

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 06-23-2015).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

There was a different (non-stock) radio wired in and I'm now wiring in yet another non-stock radio. I still have too many wires on the Fiero side. I only have (3) non-speaker wires on the stereo side. Yellow, red and black (constant power, switched power and ground). On the Fiero side, I have (5) non-speaker wires (not counting the blue (amp turn on, dimming or antenna...whatever it's for). Orange and yellow on a plug by themselves and red, black and orange with a white stripe on the main plug. That's where I get lost.

iirc my kenwood the orange was for radio mute for cell phone calls..
I'd follow the wires and see where they spliced in that set of connectors
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Pics of both, list of wires on either side.

I'll take pics of everything tonight. Maybe I'm confusing people with my descriptions.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999
OK. Here we go. The first image is the wiring harness from the aftermarket stereo. I pulled the speaker wires out of the way as they're the same on both sides. You can see I have (4) other wires on the stereo side. These are for: ground (black), constant power (yellow), switched power (red) and antenna remote (blue and I don't think I need it).

The second image is the wiring adapter that was plugged into the cars stock wiring connector(s). Again, I pulled the speaker wires out of the way as those are easy to figure out. The car side has the small, (2) wire plug with yellow and orange wires PLUS the larger plug with the speaker wires AND red, black, orange with a white strip and blue wires.

So, I have (6) non-speaker wires from the car v (4) non-speaker wires from the stereo. All of the car side wires were attached to the wires from the old stereo. (I didn't bother to check to see what went to what before I cut them.) There IS an amp/sub in the car but the amp wasn't tied in to these wires. (I know this because I tried to start the car yesterday and it wouldn't even turn over. I guess the amp is on all the time. One more thing to fix.)

I "think" I can run the antenna remote wire from the stereo to the remote turn on on the amp so I don't need to worry about that wire. The rest confuse me.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are both the standard aftermarket colors. Just match them up. Leave the orange on the small white connector unplugged.

The car has the stock amp and sub, or aftermarket? PO may have run new wires from the amp to all the speakers.

Non-speaker wires, you only need black, red, and yellow. Orange/white is illumination (may or may not be supported by the new stereo), and blue is power antenna, OR amp wire if your car came with the 'Performance Sound' option.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you! I don't know if the amp/sub are OEM or not. There isn't any Performance Sound slider on the overhead lights so I'm just going to assume the amp/sub are aftermarket. The sub looks similar to the pics I've seen of the OEM unit but I've never seen one in person. This weekend (when I jump the car and get it in the garage), I'll take some pics of the set up. I need to know what it is so I can "fix" the always-on thing. (It drained the battery. Never gave it much thought until I hit the key yesterday and heard the amp come on.)

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Those are both the standard aftermarket colors. Just match them up. Leave the orange on the small white connector unplugged.

The car has the stock amp and sub, or aftermarket? PO may have run new wires from the amp to all the speakers.

Non-speaker wires, you only need black, red, and yellow. Orange/white is illumination (may or may not be supported by the new stereo), and blue is power antenna, OR amp wire if your car came with the 'Performance Sound' option.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Well, this makes me feel better.

Here's a pic of the sub. Best I could do in the dark. It looks like I'll have to pull the dash to get to the amp.

Just a quick pic of the stereo I'm using.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2015 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pull the pass side dash speaker.. I'll bet you can get to the amp that way..

as I'd want to double check the wiring and the settings...
The factory amp isn't up there, so this has to be o/p installed..
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only wiring "issue" I know of is that (apparently) it's wired to be on constantly. Great if I start the car every day and drive enough to keep the battery charged. Unfortunately, I don't.

I don't know anything about the settings. What should I look for?
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2015 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The only wiring "issue" I know of is that (apparently) it's wired to be on constantly. Great if I start the car every day and drive enough to keep the battery charged. Unfortunately, I don't.

I don't know anything about the settings. What should I look for?

if it is a monoblock sub amp, it'll have the crossover cut off, the gain(volume) and a setting for where to center the crossover peak.. 100hz 80 hz 50hz etc.
might look something like this

if it is on all the time, I'd look for a wire going to fuse block and in the unswitched blade terminal spot..
I'd pull the speaker before pulling the whole dash.. I doubt the o/p pulled the dash.. he might have put it in before the sub box.. and you might have to remove that, to get to the amp..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock