Fiero Finally Fixed!!! by Rich Truett
Started on: 06-06-2015 03:33 PM
Replies: 13 (443 views)
Last post by: masospaghetti on 06-10-2015 09:59 AM
Rich Truett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettClick Here to Email Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That lingering hot idle problem with my '88 Formula, which caused me to replaced numerous parts and spend untold hours trying to cure, was due to a bad part right out of the box. It was a Delphi 02 sensor that was causing the car to idle erratically and stall when it got hot.
I replaced it -- on a whim -- today with an NGK 02 sensor and she's running absolutely perfectly.
FINALLY!
I just have one more job to do and it's a pig of a job: replacing the TCC solenoid.

Anyway, the lesson I learned here is never trust any new parts ever again. Just because you took out an old, bad part, doesn't mean you fixed the problem. You could have installed a new bad part, like I did.

Rich Truett
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 320
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just have one more job to do and it's a pig of a job: replacing the TCC solenoid.

Anyway, the lesson I learned here is never trust any new parts ever again. Just because you took out an old, bad part, doesn't mean you fixed the problem. You could have installed a new bad part, like I did.

Rich Truett

I believe that Delphi is a Chinese product . We use only Denso, made in the USA sensors. AC Delco O2 sensors are also supplied by Denso. Have no experience with NGK but if its a Japan product its probably good. Big difference between quality parts made in the USA, Europe, So. Korea, Taiwan, Japan and those made in China. They make cheap garbage over there.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-06-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you fixed it. You learned a lesson that seems all too common with Fiero parts available these days. It can get expensive changing every part and assuming they are always good out of the box. Diagnostics point to a bad part but because it was just changed too many people keep looking elsewhere changing other parts. Of course this could result in problems compounding as good parts get changed with other bad out of the box parts. Never ending cycle of failure. Hopefully others will learn from this too!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

They make cheap garbage over there.

Here we go again...

The apple iPhone is made in China. If Delphi specs junk, Delphi gets junk. There will always be a price leader in the store and it will always be cheaper than the good part.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-06-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Big difference between quality parts made in the USA, Europe, So. Korea, Taiwan, Japan and those made in China. They make cheap garbage over there.

Don't kid yourself...lots of garbage made in North America too! There are also some very reputable Chinese companies that produce quality products and have very dedicated customer service. I'll agree that the odds of finding poor quality is higher in China, but assuming the country of origin automatically dictates quality is just not true.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute... Denso (aka Nippondenso?) Made in the USA? Not that it's a bad part, but...

With that said...
My Delco O2 sensor failed after a year or two. Told the computer that it was running "full lean" (therefore the computer "compensated" with "full rich".)
I replaced it with an NTK (reputed to be made by NGK) and have had no trouble since.
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettClick Here to Email Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I specifically asked for Delphi, when I replaced the 02 Sensor. I paid more for it thinking I was getting a better product.
I'd be driving at highway speed and the SES light would come on and then go out. The codes would be 13 and 44. But I checked the 02 sensor with the voltmeter and it was within spec. So, started changing other parts and it didn't fix the problem.

I am not down on Delphi. Every company has bad parts that get through the system. Would another Delphi 02 sensor fail out of the box? Doubt it. I was probably just unlucky.

Rich

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Here we go again...

The apple iPhone is made in China. If Delphi specs junk, Delphi gets junk. There will always be a price leader in the store and it will always be cheaper than the good part.

Iphone is junk so what is your point

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Iphone is junk so what is your point

You not liking the company or the product doesn't make something junk. Apple products may be annoying, but they are hardly poorly engineered.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rich Truett:

That lingering hot idle problem with my '88 Formula, which caused me to replaced numerous parts and spend untold hours trying to cure, was due to a bad part right out of the box. It was a Delphi 02 sensor that was causing the car to idle erratically and stall when it got hot.
I replaced it -- on a whim -- today with an NGK 02 sensor and she's running absolutely perfectly.
FINALLY!

Rich Truett

Too bad you had to go thru all that. I have a air-fuel ratio meter mounted in my pillar pod. If the O2 acts up I'll be the first to know.
Mine is simillar to this one.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/...1&pt=N0534&ppt=C0134

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its realy amazing how many of our cars problems arent because they are 30 years old, but because of new crappy parts.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

40906 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Neils88:

I'll agree that the odds of finding poor quality is higher in China,

And thats the point.

-

Delphi is another one that I believe used to be made here.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-10-2015).]

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiClick Here to Email masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've probably had better luck with Denso parts compared to any other single brand. Seems to be sourced from the US or Japan most of the time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock